Advice on purchasing my first adult bike!

goalechica
on 3/10/10 2:27 am - Waldorf, MD
So I think it's that time. I'd like to get a bike and start hitting the parks this Spring. Does anyone have good advice on what type of bike I should consider? I'm kind of clueless. I haven't really ridden since I was teen but have always loved it and am looking to enjoy exercising and being outside!

:)

Starting Weight/ Surgery Weight
        255                   237                     

Seht
on 3/10/10 3:50 am, edited 3/10/10 3:50 am
If you can get past all the my bike is better than your bike here is page after page of some nice looking bikes.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_F orum_F1/Lets_see_your_ride!_P1655982

You mention hitting the parks for your ride, so are you thinking of Mountain biking?

1.  What kind of riding do you see yourself wanting to do  (road, off road, race etc.)
2.  Check out your local bike stores.  Any good reputable brand and the bike is probably going to be better than you.  No insult meant, I know that my crappy bike is better than I am.  I'm sure it could be ridden a lot better than I am able to do.  That doesn't stop me from wanting a better one.
3.  If you find one bike store telling you why their competitors bikes are no good, avoid that store.  I'm lucky enough to have several high end bike stores locally and none of them would talk bad about their competitiors.  The best advice I got from them was at this price you aren't going to find a junky bike.  It's what they do for their business and they aren't going to be selling crap gear.
4.  Many local bike stores offer test rides or product demo days.  Some are free, some have a rental fee that they may apply to a purchase.
5.  Avoid going cheap unless you absolutely can't afford it.  You don't mortgage your house to get a good quality bike (however you could they certainly come in that price range)  You will end up replacing parts and reparing things when you go the cheap route.  It's money that would have been better spent on buying a better bike to begin with.  It eliminates all those headaches.
6.  See if you have a local cycling club.  It's a great place to check out the other bikes, get information, be introduced to the rides in your area and get help with your bike questions.

Cannondale, Cervelo, Felt, Giant, Specialized, Trek, all bikes that have quality associated with them.  You can expect the price to start in the 800-1000 dollar price rance for a new bike from these dealers, but can easily go into the 5-6 thousand dollar range.

Good luck finding a bike you like.  It's a fun way to get some exercise and see the outdoors.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/10 6:57 am
hi, this is my first time posting in this forum.. but your post caught my attention.

i actually just bought my first "big girl bike' yesterday. its made by the brand "giant" and its a hybrid bike. basically i learned there are four different types of bikes.

mountain--hills and rough trails
road--riding on a paved road
cruiser--they sometimes have that old time feel
hybrid --mix between a mountain and a road.. good for alot.

i got a hybrid. and im really excited about it! good luck!
MacMadame
on 3/10/10 10:04 am - Northern, CA
There's also something called a Time Trial (or Triathlon) bike which is designed to be more aerodynamic than a typical road bike. They are less stable though.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

SuziJones
on 3/10/10 10:43 am, edited 3/10/10 10:44 am
I'm getting an old style cruiser for my birthday this May.

I'm wanting to just bike with the family and enjoy the sites.

But GREAT post!! Thanks for posting it and thanks MacMadame, Michelle and Scott for your responses!

I knew all bikes are not created equal, but gosh!! Those are some REALLY expensive bikes out there! hehe

Thanks again!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Most Active