Question for the Pros!!

jet03
on 3/10/10 8:52 am - Canada
This is my 1st time following a traing schedule to get ready for a run. Today was a cross-training day. Can yoga be considered a cross-training option? It was today cause I couldn't get back to the gym for anything else.:)

Jet
Scott William
on 3/10/10 9:07 am
I would think that cross training in respect to a running schedule would mean something that would raise your heart rate without pounding the legs.  Since it was your only option it was a good one.  I would consider weight lifting XT though and yoga is in that category.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Cassie W.
on 3/10/10 11:13 am
Jet,

Yoga will be a nice cross-training option as part of your training plan. Yoga helps strengthen your core and improve your flexibility.   http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-409--12606-0,00.html

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Seht
on 3/10/10 10:41 pm
While I am not a Pro, I play one on O.H.
What they said!
It is core body work which is great.  I just read a great article that emphasized how core work can actually help overcome any poor running form you may have.  By having a strong core your body posture stays good which can help de-emphasize any gait problems or stride abnormalities you have.  It reduces the stress on the rest of your body.

The theory was weak ankle causes weak kneee, causes week hips causes unstable core etc like dominos and it all transfers to the rest of the body.
By being strong in the core you are able to stop that transfer of weakness and prevent transfer injuries.

Besides any type of activity that improves your general health and physical well being is good for you.  If done properly it can only be a plus and it's certainly better than not getting anything done.

At least in my non-professional opinion

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

jet03
on 3/10/10 11:23 pm - Canada
Thanks for all the info. I do find that running and yoga complement each other very well. The pigeon pose for instance, opens the hips and is a great stretch for the piriformis which I have had issues with when running.

Jet

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wxRQRwT/weight.png">>

beckipoohbear
on 3/11/10 6:26 am - AZ
Echoing all the yay yoga, good for core strength, good for running posts above!  I have been battling a hip and foot injury for about 6 months now, haven't been able to run since my last half in January and I am doing physical therapy now for it.  And what are we focusing on solely?  Building up core strength so the hips are strong, so the knees are strong, so the ankles are strong so the foot is strong.  In addition to the exercises they make me do, they highly recommended I start back up with the yoga again.  Therefore, I second yoga as a most excellent choice for cross-training.

Keep up the good work!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Most Active