Grand Canyon Redux

jonscutie
on 3/9/10 12:09 am
First I want to thank everyone that made food suggestions for me to supplement what the guide brought on the trip. I really needed every bit of it. The food that was brought was very high in carbs but I had my protein, trail mix that I made up at home, jerky, and a couple of other items and I did fine.

I really was not hungry and had to force myself to eat.

I hiked 7.2 miles with 5000 ft of elevation change down in 9.5 hours (really slow but the trail was very rough and I am short) and 9.6 miles with 5000 ft of elevation change up in 10.5 hours (different trail).

It was a great time and there is no way I could have ever done this before in my life.

Thanks again for the support.

Michelle
Seht
on 3/9/10 12:34 am
Sounds like you had a great trip.

Congrats

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

jonscutie
on 3/9/10 1:50 am

Thanks - it was wonderful!

MacMadame
on 3/9/10 12:37 am - Northern, CA
Glad it all worked out. I always bring food with me everywhere now. And I'm eating a lot more carbs than the average bariatric patient (because of my training). But I still find most of the time that the food provided has too much fat and carbs for my tastes.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

jonscutie
on 3/9/10 1:36 am
The guide was a great guy but his idea of a meal was stir fry veggies with curry sauce and brown rice. He loved granola bars.

I really needed my protein!

Thanks!

Michelle
superconducting
on 3/9/10 4:33 am - Montgomery, NY
 I'm trying to picture myself running a blender at the bottom of the grand canyon so I can make a protein shake! 

jonscutie
on 3/9/10 5:53 am
Just a shaker with the powder and water. Water straight from a canyon spring.
Most Active