Nutritiion

Kathy P.
on 3/7/10 10:02 am - Port Orchard, WA
Okay, so I don't run long distances that require re-fueling, HOWEVER I HAVE PLANS

So here is what I do now before and after my 5K's (weekly)

1. Night before, I hydrate and hydrate some more. I have major pee anxiety, so I do not drink the before my 5K. 
2.Just before, I will swish water and spit. I eat nothing, but rather do my 5K fasting.
3. After  my 5K, I down at least 40 oz. water, then eat my carbs, protein, fat.  An example: Today, after run meal was 1/2 cup egg beaters, two pieces ww toast with fat free cream cheese and two slices of swiss cheese.

I want to start experimenting for my 10K (which will probably just require some liquids?) and for a half-marathon.

I've read many of you use CLIFF bars, or gels.  SO here is my worry:  I dump.  I do fine with my Pure Protein Bar (16 g. carbs with 2 g.sugar, 1 g. fiber then sugar alcohols; 20 g. protein), as they are essentially sugar free.

I have not tried gatoraid or other sports drinks because they read so high in sugar.  The bars, CLIFF included, are high in sugars as well.  I know that there is a difference in "sugar" and complex carbs.  Maybe I just need to try a couple here and there way ahead of time to find what works.

I can tolerate bannana and peanut butter....is that just as good as a CLIFF bar for fueling?  What about plain bottled water vs. sports drinks? Maybe add some sodium but adding a few salted nuts to the mix?

It's just all so confusing to me, and I don't want to trust a relative who runs, but knows nothing about the special requirements for WLS peeps.

Just needing some suggestions so I can start experimenting WAY AHEAD OF TIME to avoid any undo anxiety closer to the 10K and half.

Thanks all -

Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Alidre
on 3/17/10 5:36 am - Van Nuys, CA
I wouldn't begin to know about most of what you are asking, but I am curious as well.

As far as sports drinks, however, there is always SF Pedialyte :)
Most Active