My comeback 5K (xpost)

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/10 9:33 am
Whoo-hoo!!!!! 

Today I did the Shamrock and Roll 5K and it was awesome! I'd always wanted to do that race because it's a big event and it always seemed like so much fun. And it was!!!

I went with 2 friends of mine who had never done 5Ks (I haven't done one in probably 6 years). Our goal was to have fun and to finish without walking. We decided to run at our own pace which worked out for the best so we could just concentrate on doing our own thing. I had done all my training on the treadmill and IMMEDIATELY I felt the difference between outdoor running and the treadmill. My feet felt really sluggish at first. And the hills! OMG! I never even considered there'd be hills but there were several, the long one was a gradual hill (about a 1/2 mile) and there were a few other shorter, steeper ones. I saw a lot of people walking and I was tempted but I just put my head down, shortened my stride, and pushed on through.

My finishing time was 36:33 with an 11:47/mile pace. Considering this was my first run outside and the hills (the hills!) I am really, really happy with my pace. It wasn't too far off from my treadmill pace. 

Yes! Now onto the 10K I'm doing in 2 weeks. I have the confidence now to know that I've put in my training and I can do it! I see the beginning of a wonderful comeback and I'm so freaking happy to be able to say that!
Kathy P.
on 3/7/10 9:38 am - Port Orchard, WA
YES! WAY TO GO AND CONGRATS!  Thats a pretty darned good time!  I have my St. Paddy's 5k next weekend...and my first official 10K in June, although I'm going to do at least one or two practice ones before the official.

So glad your experience was positive!!!

Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
morgansmommy
on 3/7/10 12:55 pm - Gig Harbor, WA
Kathy,
Are you doing the St.Paddys 5 K in Tacoma on Saturday? I am signing up tomorrow for it; I think.
Mary
Kathy P.
on 3/7/10 2:57 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Hi Mary,

I'm actually doing the 5K out at Navy Sub Base Bangor. We did the Turkey Trot out there. There's a Dolphin Dash 10K in April that I may give a shot too!
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
Linn D.
on 3/7/10 10:12 pm, edited 3/7/10 10:12 pm - Missoula, MT
Great job! �It's nice to have those successes.

I train on a TM also, but the more races you do, the less odd it feels on your feet. �My pace is no different outside anymore than it is on the TM. �In fact, as your fitness improves, your paces will be even faster than what you do on the TM.

Way to go!

Linn�
Seht
on 3/8/10 1:11 am
Congrats!

I'm glad you had such a good day.  Welcome back to the running world.
Good luck on that upcoming 10k.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

SuziJones
on 3/8/10 2:52 am
WOOT!! Yeah to go Kelly!! I'm soo proud of you!! Yeah yeah!! That is soo wonderful! I bet you were just on a super high!! You should be!!

thank you for continuing to be such an inspiration and a wonderful role model for me!! I can't ever thank you enough!!
*big happy dance hugs*
Happy thoughts and prays to you my friend!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/10 3:32 am
 Thanks, everyone! It felt great to be back out there!
Most Active