What do you think if your exercise instructor is SMO

Linn D.
on 3/6/10 10:24 am - Missoula, MT
There are a couple spin instructors at my gym that I don't do as well with also, and it is totally the style I don't like (or doesn't give me what I think I need).  I don't use super high tension because it makes my knees sore and messes up my runs, so I use slightly lower tensions and higher rpms.  They don't necessarily like it, but that's what I need so I do my own thing anyway.  I still get a good sweat and a hard workout, I just don't do it completely their way.  I do hills when everyone else is doing hills and sprint when called for, but it's just slightly different.  I pay to go to the gym and it is MY workout

As far as the fitness of the instructor goes, it doesn't really matter to me.  I'm probably more fit than most of my instructors, and do just fine with them.  I do believe that people of ANY fitness level should be comfortable joining a spin class and that no one should be singled out either way (lagging behind or going beyond).  I think that's an issue with the instructor's style and you might confront them with that issue rather than making the issue the weight or perceived fitness level of the instructor.

Linn
Scott William
on 3/6/10 2:16 pm
Yes, you are being biased and who's to say that he is not fit just because he doesn't spin fast enough for you. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
jcheryld
on 3/9/10 4:50 am
In some aspects I agree. I've been practicing yoga for 9 years and only after I hit my goal weight did I pursue becoming an instructor. As a natural leader, I knew I could instruct a class, but I never felt comfortable leading a class as an obese person. I want my students to feel confident that I can instruct them at various levels, and that I'm not limited in my range of motion because of excess weight. So in this respect, it was truly beneficial to be "normal sized" as a GXI.

I look a belly dancing class at a local community center to change up my fitness routine. The instructor bragged that belly dancing could make you lose weight "if you eat right" and she touted that she chose not to eat right, hence why she was obese. The workout was not intense and I never broke a sweat. Thoe days that I had belly dancing, I also chose to go for high intensity cardio earlier in the day so I didn't feel cheated. Honestly there wasn't a way to "intensify" the workout during class without completely messing up the routine. I certainly learned new movements and felt like the belly dancing class was a fun experience, but an aerobic workout- no. Was it because of the instructor's size? Could she have taught a more intense class with more cardiovascular benefit if she were in better shape? Perhaps... but rather than let it bog me down, I moved on.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker  

Hit goal 10/31/09!  RNY!!!

Most Active