Gaining after starting exercise program

Karen D.
on 3/5/10 2:00 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
Hi everyone.  2 months ago I started exercising faithfully again.  I had been a huge slacker for a couple years.  I do a 1 hour spinning class 2 days a week, 3 if I can fit it in.  I also do a muscle pump class where we lift weights, work the core etc. 2 days a week for 45 minutes each.

I am eating properly, staying away from my demons, chocolate and ice cream.  I have gained 7lbs in 3 weeks.  I'm so discouraged.  I could see if I was eating like a hog and eating very poorly, but I'm not.   3 meals per day with 1 snack (2 if I feel like it).

When I initially lost weight I think I lost muscle because I became quite weak.  Lifting a casserole pan out of the oven was a challenge.  Now, I know that in the last 2 months I have built leg muscles and biceps feel great.

Is it possible that this could happen?  I could actually be gaining muscle with my new routine and eventually I will turn to fat burning mode?  These classes are tough....I sweat during spinning so much it dribbles through my hair and right down the tip of my nose....what a great workout!

Anyone have any thoughts....I'm open to anything.
Thanks!
Karen
nate2009
on 3/5/10 3:17 am - Lebanon, OH
Forget what the scale says and judge by how your clothes fit. If you are loosing inches it doesn't matter. And yes it is very normal. I went through the same thing and you will start loosing again. Keep up the good work.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
puddin2day
on 3/5/10 3:50 am - Los Angeles, CA
Karen, you are doing a great job.  Whatever you do, keep it up.  Your gain is quite possibly muscle.  Don't worry about the scale and look how your clothes hang on you.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

superconducting
on 3/5/10 5:04 am - Montgomery, NY
 what the others said.. I didn't really lose for about 1.5 months after I took my routine to the next level.  It was really weird for me running 15 miles a week and not losing early on.. but eventually it kicked in... after 1.5 months I really started losing in a hurry (almost scary, like when I first had surgery type weight loss).  

People always ask me if I plan to lose more weight, and my reply now is that if I can run a half marathon in 130 minutes, I think my weight is fine, whatever it is.  I really only use the scale now to make sure I am hydrating right and that I'm not dropping too fast.

SuziJones
on 3/5/10 5:59 am
Get yourself a tape measure and use that to judge if you are shedding fat. My scale has me up 2 pounds, yet my clothes are LOOSE!

So I'd go by what your measurements are versus what heavier muscle gain is going to be when replacing fat.

Yeah for you and stick with it!!! Eating healthy and exercising is KEY!!
Best wishes and blessing prayers to you!
*big hugs*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Most Active