Pain

Alexis V.
on 3/3/10 8:13 am - Louisville, KY
 I have failed in my weight loss efforts.  Had unsuccessful lapband - correction - I was unsuccesful in following the rules of having a lapband.  Am now morbidly obese and diabetic.  Trying to get back on board.  My question:  am trying hard to exercise and move from being a couch potato to more active.  The past two days I have tried to do a simple walking program.  Fifteen minutes walking in place, with front kicks, side steps, and arm lifts.  I am in tears after 8/9 minutes with cramping and pain in my outer thighs.  Any suggestions on what I can do to get past this?
Sue M.
on 3/3/10 9:29 am - Nantucket, MA
Do less!  Try 5 minutes/day.  Then after a few days, 6 minutes.  then 7.  Just start small and build up!  Rome was not built in a day!

But keep doing it!  It's a great step!!!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Alexis V.
on 3/3/10 9:38 am - Louisville, KY
 Thanks so much for responding Sue!  After about 30 minutes I did 6 minutes on my elliptical and it felt so good to try - so now I'm up to 14 minutes.  Strange how that little can impact your state of mind.  Have also decided to go back to my surgeon and get on track again.  
superconducting
on 3/3/10 10:49 am - Montgomery, NY
 we all started somewhere.  I think the key to the lapband is simply looking at it like only a tool - in the end it really requires you to change, and that's not so easy, I know.  When I very first started out, I could barely make it down my driveway and back.  But I made sure to try at least something every day... in a few weeks I'm hoping to finish my first half marathon!    I don't say it to brag but to hopefully encourage you that this can be done!  I promise, the first 3-4 weeks are the worst, but it does get better when you get into the routine and you start feeling the results.

Linn D.
on 3/3/10 11:59 am - Missoula, MT
So, I'm 6 years post RNY.  I realize it's a different surgery, but I look at it as the beginning of a new lifestyle.  There were reasons I wanted to lose weight, and some of them included things I wanted to do.  

I would consider writing all those reasons down again and looking at the list.  Then, with some help, try to make a plan to make those goals come to pass.  Last spring I gained about 15#.  it took nearly all summer to lose it again, but I was successful doing it because I had good habits to return to and goals to meet.

One thing a lot of people seem to forget is that it really does take a while to get the body ready for exercise if it isn't used to it.  Don't give up, just start slower.  Pushing it isn't helpful.  30 minutes is a good goal, but just walk.  Don't add anything to it until you're able.  Going full tilt isn't going to help you get there faster.  It is true that slow and steady wins the race.  One step at a time.  There is no faster way to get there.

I'm glad you posted.  Don't lose hope, just look to tomorrow and not too far down the road.  It's the small victories that get you to the ultimate goal.

Linn
Rob S.
on 3/3/10 8:25 pm - DE

Don't beat yourself.  Stay positive.  Focus on walking first.  Get into a routine and start walking 3-4 days a week.  Work yourself up to 30 minutes.  Don't worry if it takes several months to get there.  Once you have established a base and feel comfortable, add more time on to one of the days and keep building.

Once you have the walking down, it is important to get into a weight circuit program.   Cardio is great, but doing the weight burns more calories continuously.

Have fun with it, and be patient!
Rob

niffer1283
on 3/3/10 9:16 pm - Richmond, IN
Well, nothing to add to the great advice you've already gotten...just want to encourage you to hang in there and keep at it! Don't give up.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

shorter
on 3/4/10 2:50 am - na, OK
You may not have this issue, but before I lost weight my feet hurt a lot, especially after I walked. I invested in great shoes and they still hurt. Other people have mentioned knee, hip, back issues. Finally, I went to the Y and did water walking and exercises. That was a great way to build up stamina without wrecking my joints and wanting to cry. Yes, I looked fat in my swimsuit, but I also looked fat in my clothes. The personnel at the Y were so helpful. I even took a yoga class.

I'm not the most fit person yet, but I'm working on it.

Good luck
5'3/4" 56 years young 
Heaviest Weight 250; Consult Weight 232; Surgery Weight 211
Shorter  

Are you maintaining?  Join us at http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active