Way too out of shape! Please help!!

Wannabhealthy barbie
on 3/1/10 7:26 am
Hi all! I am new to this board but I need help! I have been walking on the treadmill everyday 30 minutes a day at 3.0 mph. I can't do 3.5 I keep trying but it is just too fast. Well tonight all the treadmills were taken and long story short I almost took someone else's treadmill and was so embarrassed! So I came home and did my Walk Away the Pounds...it was so hard! And I just did the beginner one! What should I do? I can't believe I am still so out of shape even the leg workouts killed me! What do I do????

Seht
on 3/1/10 7:55 am
http://www.c25k.com/

So if you can't do 3.5 do 3.4 or 3.3 or whatever you can maintain.

Look at the program above.
Use 3.0 as your walk speed and then whatever the fastest speed you can do as you "jog" speed.  It doesn't have to be a jog or a run, just something faster.

It is interval training, it is very gradual and mean for you to succeed.

Exercise is hard, For me it never gets easier because I just keep trying to increase the challenge to myself.  Yes I started at a 3 mph walk as well.  Now I'm running.  Yes the walk feels easy now, but the run feels just as hard as the walk was when I started.  

You can do it. 

Good luck.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

SuziJones
on 3/1/10 8:12 am
I'd say just keep doing what you are doing sweety. Maybe get a personal trainer? Or get with someone to help you maybe get into some weight training? The peps on this board are AWSOME!!

I just started the C25K program and hoping to get into more slimming and muscle defining exercises.

Good luck hun. I'd say just keep going hun! You have done such a FAB job so far! So keep on keeping on hun!!
*big supportive hugs*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Wannabhealthy barbie
on 3/1/10 8:23 am
Thanks both of you! I will start that program tomorrow morning!

Cassie W.
on 3/1/10 8:24 am
The fact that you've committed to walking 30 minutes a day is a great accomplishment.  Scott's advice for intervals is really the best way to build upon your success.  It's all about increasing your speed at managable increments.  You don't have to jump from 3.0 to 3.5.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/1/10 9:29 am - Fort Worth, TX
What do you do? You keep going... 'Nuff said!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

niffer1283
on 3/1/10 5:31 pm - Richmond, IN
What Dan said. Just keep going. 3.0 mph is what I do for 20 minutes, then I go to the weight machines, whi*****identally also raises my heart rate. Don't compare yourself to anyone here, it'll drive you nuts if you do! There are some hard core exercisers here, lemme tell ya. I admire them a lot, but my schedule simply does not allow for an hour and a half at the gym or pounding the pavement, so my workouts are usually about 35-45 minutes 5-6 days a week, and I feel pretty fit. Do what you can do, and just build on it a little at a time. The fact that you're doing SOMETHING is a great start! Good luck!

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

Liz W.
on 3/2/10 3:11 am
It may take a while for your body to be able to go harder/longer on the machines.
When I first started working out, I was horrified at how out of shape I was...I always thought "oh if i need to, i can totally do that"... but its taken me a while to get more used to the exercises.

Another thing, make sure to not eat a heavy meal right before you work out... and sometimes if I were to not have a balanced days worth of eating, I'll definitely feel it in the gym.

YOU CAN DEFINITELY DO IT! Don't give up and continue at it!
merowassa
on 3/2/10 11:44 am
I saw your post this morning and wanted to make sure to get back on here and post a response tonight.  I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from; I've felt the same way so many times.  For me, the trick has been to be patient with myself.  My goal was to do a 5K-- which I am scheduled to do at the end of this month.  Really, it took me this entire past year of slowly increasing my exercise to get to the point where I feel ready to do this.  I used the C25K program, as many others have referenced.  It works by increasing your workout gradually-- week by week at first.  My advice to you is to use a program like that, but at your own pace.  I didn't advance to the next week/day/whatever until I felt 100% ready to do it.  I had tried to exactly adhere to the program once before, and failed.  Working through it at my own pace felt much more comfortable for me, and never gave me the chance to stop because it had gotten "too hard." 

Good luck and stick with it! 

-Meg
Highest weight: 279
Surgery weight: 263
Current weight:154
YoliDada
on 3/3/10 12:13 am

Stop fretting about it and just do it.

If you fret and worry about speed/being out of shape/ advancing/ etc you will not enjoy your walk and it will be harder to stick with it.

So ... Like the Nike ad says: JUST DO IT!  It will get easier (specially as you lose the weight) and when it does, add little spurts of jogging to your walk and before you know it you'll be jogging the full 30 minutes.  

Most Active