Exercise and increased hunger

Crystal H.
on 3/1/10 5:31 am
After I started going to the gym regularly I started getting hungry more often, I also started craving carbs. I have tried to increase the number of calories and carbs that I eat every day, but every afternoon around 3pm (give or take depending on how long its been since lunch) I get really hungry. At first I ignored it thinking it was head hunger, but it has gotten to the point that if I ignore it and go to the gym my stomach hurts while working out.

Typically I have:
B: Protien Shake (30g)
S: Granola Bar (2g-5g)
L: Random left overs from dinner (usually 10-20g)
S: Yogurt or Cheese (5-7g)
D: Usually 10-20g protien

If I have a hard work out day I throw in another protien shake after the workout.

This is bringing me to 57g-82g a day and up to 112g if i throw in the extra protien shake.

As far as carbs go, I think at least 30% of my daily calories are carbs. I just dont understand why I am so hungry and why it hits me so hard and so fast. I can go from perfectly fine sipping my water to ravenously hungry. It is almost like my stomach says, enough of the water I need FOOD!

I don't think it is a mental thing because when this happens it is physical discomfort and it hits me at different times each day, but usually between 2-4pm - before I leave for the gym.

Any suggestions on switching up my eating routine or foods to add in?
~Crystal

DANCBJAMMIN
on 3/1/10 6:49 am - Fort Worth, TX
Eat some Almonds before you start getting hungry... Maybe a Banana with peanut butter...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

SuziJones
on 3/1/10 8:56 am
I'd offer the MORE carbs you eat, the more you are gonna crave them. I'm trying REALLY hard (even this early out) to NOT eat carbs. So I don't get in that vicious cycle of creating a craving for them.

Good luck hun! I know the late afternoon tiredness and hunger monster hit me too! A nice stick of sugar free gum helps or that banana and peanut butter sounds FAB!!

*big supportive hugs*
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.  ~Michael Jordan 
My Goals:
1) 200lbs ACCOMPLISHED
3) 170lbs
4) Run 5K
"Unneeded food is not any less wasted in a body that doesnt need it, than it is in the trash." ~Brandilynn
 "Those that will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants." ~William Penn

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
onerland-2.jpg My Onerland!! picture by minnlay
Crystal H.
on 3/1/10 9:43 pm
Thanks for the tips. I will deffinitely try the almonds! Bananas make me dump so those are out :(

In general the carbs that I eat are good carbs. Whole grains, lots of fiber, cheeses, cereals. My goal is to eat like a normal person with the exception of things that make me dump. Realisticly we need carbs for fuel. I know there are different schools of thought on this, but I refuse to be afraid of carbs :)

I brought two cheese sticks today and have some almonds at my desk. I am hoping that I can fend off this afternoon hunger attack!
~Crystal

superconducting
on 3/2/10 1:43 am - Montgomery, NY
 I like almonds too.. I also found a natural "almond butter" by Maranatha.  Its a little pricey, but the ingredients lister are : Almonds..  imagine that?  I can take a tablespoon and eat it like a little kid and its a sort of comfort food that also satisfies me a lot when I am getting that urge.  I guess its around 100 calories a tablespoon:

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/maranatha/organic-almond-butter-roastedcreamy/

YoliDada
on 3/2/10 2:31 am

Me too!

Come 3:00 pm... BAM!  I'm Ravenous! I have to stay away from the kitchen or I'll eat anything in sight.

What helps me is to make sure I get at least 3 grams of fat in my lunch. Either as olive oil in a salad, peanut butter, or almonds. Also I chug some metamucil 15 minutes before my afternoon snack (half a protein bar). Both these tricks quell my raging mid-afternoon hunger... a bit. The rest is will power.

And when will power is lacking I sometimes scarf down half a jar of Sugar Free Sweet Gherkins (Pickles, supposedly zero calories) but I don't recomend it because the sodium is way to high.

Also, not all carbs are bad. I run 2 miles in 30 minutes every morning and I wouldn't be able to do it if a didn't have some complex carbs for breakfast, like Steel Cut Oatmeal or Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal. Whole grain unprocessed carbs will keep you going without making you crave the bad carbs.

Most Active