What do you think?

valleyfree
on 2/24/10 11:25 am - OR
I'm scheduled for RNY on March 8. I am currently 229 pounds, 5'4". A friend wants me to train and run in a 1/2 marathon at the end of June. I am not a runner right now. I walk 3 miles a day. Do you think this is even remotely possible? I'm pretty sure I can walk it if not run it. How soon after surgery do you think I could start training?
HW 247/SW 232/CW 135/GW 140 Height 5'4"  Age 43 A BIT BELOW GOAL

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/24/10 11:45 am - Fort Worth, TX

That seems a little too soon IMHO... Maybe a 5K or something, but only you can honestly answer this question. After a FULL recovery, that only gives you 6 ish weeks to train... I say wait to be better prepared, and let your body heal... There are ALWAYS plenty of races! Congrats on your surgery date and your desire to get fit!

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Scott William
on 2/24/10 1:37 pm
I agree with Dan on this one. You don't want to compromise the surgery at the expence of the race. There are Hundreds of half marathons in the fall and that would be more appropriate of a time frame if it's something you really feel you have to do. My personal opinion is that you should wait about a year to start doing over an hour of exercise per session. That can increase your appetite and mess with the point of the surgery.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
bwburgin1015
on 2/24/10 10:13 pm - NC
Ditto!  You'll be pretty sore for a couple weeks and it will be very difficult to get the nutrition you need to fuel your body for that type of training. 

valleyfree
on 2/24/10 10:51 pm - OR
Thanks for your responses. I have to say I'm a little relieved. I'll go as a cheerleader for my friend. I may just walk it. I know I can do that. Right now, my three miles a day has given me a case of plantar fasciatis (sp?). I hope this gets less frequent with the weight loss too. It's frustrating! 
HW 247/SW 232/CW 135/GW 140 Height 5'4"  Age 43 A BIT BELOW GOAL

ErinsClovers
on 2/24/10 11:21 pm
 ahhhh, I can't talk about any of the running and training, but I can tell you a bit about your foot issues...well I can tell you what worked for me.  I had heel spurs plus plantar fasciatis, what helped me was.....YOGA...really, I am feeling so much better these days, I was doing yoga even before surgery and my foot pain was gone...good luck!!!

Erin

bandhope
on 2/25/10 1:49 am - TX
I think being your friend's cheerleader will be a good motivation move for you. Take in the experience by supporting your friend and make a deal with your friend to join her next time. Be sure to give yourself enough time to heal from the surgery and get used to your new way of life.

I did the half marathon for rookies. You can google it. It was super "do able" for me and it helped me prepare for the big day injury free. Staying injury free and being well prepared is very important. I would start off doing small runs like 5 ks just to experience how a race works. Some of the larger races (half marathon and full marathon) have serious runners and they sometimes discourage walkers.

I think it's great you are thinking ahead and setting goals for yourself. Best wishes to you!
MacMadame
on 2/25/10 12:27 pm - Northern, CA
I agree about waiting until you have longer to train (that first month is one with not much energy for a lot of us), but I don't agree you shouldn't do more than an hour of exercise a day the first year. I think that sort of thing is very individual.

For me, I started learning to run about 1 month out from surgery and signed up for my first triathlon 2.5 months out. I was doing 2-3 hour workouts by about 6 months out.

You just need to listen to your body. Everyone is different and I was having a blast and had no problems doing that kind of workout on a bariatric diet. It really helped with my weight loss, in fact.

You'll be able to figure out what works for you when the time comes.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active