1/2 marathon in May and getting worried

robt859
on 2/24/10 11:03 am
Ok I started training a while back but work has really thrown me off the last few weeks. I have been putting in 14 hrs 6 days a week and just to tired when I get home to to much of anything. Last sat. I decided to just onthe treadmill and see what I could do...well after 2 plus hours I was only able to do 9 miles. I still feel I can finish the 1/2, but I am getting a little depressed over the fact that many(most) of the people doing the full mararthon will be driving home before I finish. I know I need to just suck it up and a get a work out in no matter how much I work.  Just feeling a little furstrated by my lack of progress.   OK the pity party is over, anyway thanks to you all for posting everyday and giving me the insparation to try a 1/2 in the first place.

Kathy P.
on 2/24/10 11:10 am - Port Orchard, WA
Well...not really sure what to say/type! I'm scared to death to do my 10k in June, and YOU  are amazing for doing a half! Wow! Just to enter and complete will be a huge accomplishment and progress!

So, now that you've beat yourself up, you can get back to prep work! 

Excited to hear how it goes, and what tips you may have for my punie little 10K in June!

Hugs,
Kathy
Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up.
It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning in
Africa, a lion wakes up.
It knows that it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve.
It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle
when the sun comes up you'd better be running.

RNY 2/9/09  Buh bye Gallbladder 8/28/09; 100% EWL (181 lbs.) on 2/19/10;
DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/24/10 11:38 am - Fort Worth, TX
At the end of each day, all we can do is our best! Who cares what others are doing, do your best, have fun, and stay positive. This race should not DEFINE who you are, it should define your resolve to accomplish your goals, regardless of cir****tance... And that goal should be FINISHING!!!! Think about the joy you will feel when you finish, knowing the trials you overcame to finish. 

At the end of ALL of my races, the happiness, and sometimes tears that are shed are usually NOT just about the race I ran, it was the countless hours of personal sacrifice and training I put into preperation, along with the sacrifice of my family members. Working 74 hours a week could tire ANYONE out, if you went out for a couple of brief runs during lunch (If you get one) or early in the morning before work that would help. It sounds like you need more of a confidence builder to finish rather than fitness, because 9 miles in 2 hours is VERY respectable. So, here it is...

YOU ARE RACING IN MAY, YOU WILL TRY YOUR HARDEST, YOU WILL FINISH, AND IT WILL BE ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCES OF YOUR LIFE, MAINLY BECAUSE ONLY YOU WILL KNOW WHAT YOU WENT THROUGH TO DO IT!!!

The cup can ALWAYS be half full...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 2/24/10 12:37 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Rob,
First off, getting to the starting line and then the finishing lines are the goals!!!  Nobody cares how fast or slow you go.  I started the Detroit marathon with the 4:30 pace group and finished around 5:15/5:20 (2:17 for the first half and then suffered).  Nobody that passed me judged me, nor did any of the people I was running with during the first half think less of me when I suddenly wasn't with them.  Then I did NYC in 5:45-555 (don't remember exact timing).  
Relax and enjoy the race/people that you're with!
Second thing -- my fiancee and I WILL be doing this half.  I want to experience everything with her on her first half and with a full ironman in June don't really feel a need/want to run the full.  We'll be staying with her friend over in Springfield.  Would love to meet up with you at the start area and hopefully be able to cheer you across the finish line!  In order for that to happen you've gotta run the Pig!!!!!
--Dan
Duane1064
on 2/24/10 7:57 pm - Bloomington, IN
Do what you can, when you can and you'll be fine.  Find the cutoff time for the race and see how that relates to your training.  My first half I was worried that we would not make the cutoff time and I ended up worrying for nothing.  It really doesn't matter if you walk, run, or do a combo of the two.  You're still burning calories and getting exercise.  Enjoying your training and race.  Hopefully you can cut down on the work hours some....too many is not good.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Seht
on 2/24/10 9:43 pm
Yes some people will have packed up and left, but there will also still be people there who want to see you finish.  Many people will stay to the very end to cheer.  I have seen people cheer louder for the last finisher than the first.

Don't worry about your time, or having to stop and walk for a bit.  That can be put off onto the next race.

I'm going to share some words my coach had for me on my first half marathon.  I asked him how fast I should run it, what my goal should be, and his response was.
"This is your first race, your goal is to start and finish.  Then we use this race to measure the next one, and set our goals."
Think of it like this.  If this is your first 1/2 marathon, it is going to be a personal record for you!  Hey how do you like that, your first race and already setting P.R.'s

Take care of yourself, get some rest and try to enjoy what time you do have.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

bandhope
on 2/25/10 3:17 am - TX
Running 9 miles on a treadmill is awesome! You should be so proud of yourself!

I think running can be the biggest stress reliever. My schedule is crazy too, but my need to "finish a goal" was much "crazier". I had to get very creative with my workouts and it made, finishing the race even more intense for me! It was so worth it!!

Don't worry with time or comparing yourself to others. I know it's easier said than done. I was in such fear of the "sweeper"- the person who drags people off the course, because they're closing it and letting traffic through. I ended up finishing way before the sweeper. We always tend to be so hard on ourselves.

Hang in there and do this for you! You are worthy and doing 9 miles is awesome. You are so close, don't let your job take this goal from you. Keep fighting!!!
Linn D.
on 2/25/10 11:07 am - Missoula, MT
You know, Rob, since you made it 9, you know you'll make it the 13.  No biggie.  When I did my 2nd marathon, my longest training run was only 16 or 17 miles.  Not so good.  But, for that race, the main goal was to finish and survive.  As it turns out, my time was 6 minutes faster than the first and I was ready to give up by the half.  I didn't, and you won't.  I think you'll find it a much more pleasant experience than you're expecting.

Once you get there and get started, you'll be happy you did.

Linn
MacMadame
on 2/25/10 12:21 pm - Northern, CA
No matter what happens with your half marathon, don't give your life up to your job. You need to take time for yourself. Go out and run at lunch time. Don't eat lunch at your desk. Or take a break in the afternoon to run. Your work will actually be better if you take some time for yourself!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

robt859
on 2/27/10 9:31 am
Thank you to you all for your words of encoragement. This is the reason I love this site so, and I share it with everyone I know. I am looking forward to posting my first race report, good, or indifferent. You guys help keep me true to my mission.

Most Active