Need Advice regarding prep for half- marathon.

JEllen
on 2/22/10 11:38 am - Capital Region, NY
Hi! I can't tell you how excited I am to be planning on doing a half-Marathon in the fall. My first /last one was a few years ago... basically did it only to support a friend.

No training... high weight. still somehow I managed to finish 9 miles of it- even though I had only planned on doing 3. I lost 4 toenails and had hemorrhagic blisters.  Still it was a GREAT experience.

(hmmmm perhaps I am a fitness nut at heart)

anyway.. I'm wondering since I will be 15 months post op by the time the marathon is held.. WHAT will I be able to eat in the days leading up to the event?  What should I have with me? Obviously, I don't picture myself Carbing up the night before.

This time I will have proper garments, socks, shoes, etc.

I AM planning on doing a 5K in May to check my time. and following a training schedule ... but- my friends are concerned about me getting sick on the course.  Any advice regarding these issues greatly appreciated. and if you think of any websites that may be helpful.

THANKS in advance!!!

Judy

Linn D.
on 2/22/10 11:50 am, edited 2/22/10 11:51 am - Missoula, MT
Judy,

As you do more miles and your training ramps up, you'll try some things and figure out what works for you.  We all have different food tolerances, so there really aren't any good generalizations.  You might eventually want to see a sports nutritionist to help you determine what your body needs and make sure you eat a recovery meal of some sort.  Aside from that, it's pretty much just trial and error. 

Runner's World is a good place to find a lot of information though.

Linn
JEllen
on 2/22/10 1:30 pm - Capital Region, NY
Thanks Linn I will definately take a look at Runner's World.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm willing to look into that as well. 

My goal for this Half-Marathon is to FINISH. (without injury - would be a plus!!!)

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/22/10 8:54 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Congrats on preparing for the race! Like Linn said... Trial and Error. Best of Luck, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Hawgman
on 2/22/10 9:42 pm - TX
Congratulations on your committment to fitness. 

Toenails are for sissies anyway!

Try things at the house and if they work, try them on your long runs.

Good luck!

Darrell
JEllen
on 2/22/10 11:26 pm - Capital Region, NY
   oh my.... toenails are for sissies! 

It is odd is some peculiar way that even losing 4 of them due to the NASTY BLISTERS - I felt like I had joined the ranks of being an athlete.   

At the bed n breakfast where we stayed there were other guests who were also participating in that half-marathon. Thankfully, one of the guests happened to be a DOCTOR! He sat down on the dining room floor and treated my poor blistered feet. If he hadn't done that I probably would have even had further damage. So I am very grateful for his kindness.

That first experience was my "paying my dues."

This time I'm going to PAY for the right socks & running shoes and hopefully, NOT lose any toenails....

puddin2day
on 2/23/10 1:02 am - Los Angeles, CA
Congratulations for taking on such a big but great goal.  I really don't have anymore to add except cut your toenails really short and don't miss any of your long runs, they are the bread and butter of your training.
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active