Hiking the Grand Canyon

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 7:03 am
Maybe the 70% cacao ones? I really have to be careful. I don't want to have a reaction on the trail.

I am very excited - I look at this as sort of a "graduation" from the person I used to be to the person I want to be for the rest of my life.

Thanks,

Michelle
MacMadame
on 2/11/10 7:33 am - Northern, CA
I liked dried cherries. I put them in everything. :D

Protein bars are also good for a change-up. I don't like to eat too many in one day though. The ones with sugar alcohols make me gassy and the ones without have too many carbohydrates compared to protein. Sometimes I make my own of those too, but I haven't perfected a good recipe that is not either high in fat or in carbs.

I like cheese sticks and hard-boiled eggs as well but they have to be eaten the same day and they may not travel well. I've done cheese sticks on a bike and been fine though.

Are you camping at the bottom or just doing a day hike? That can make a difference in what food to bring.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 7:50 am
We are camping at the bottom for 2 nights. It is a guided hike but I want to bring food that I know I can eat and supplement what the hired guide and company provide. They asked for food preferences and I told them low carb, high protein but I don't want to be hungry and then be faced with stuff I don't want to eat. I am not above temptation even if I pay for it later.

I am looking for stuff that doesn't need refridgeration - I have a protein bar that I use but I don't like to eat more than one a day if that.

Trail mix is ideal if I make it myself - just looking for other choices.

Michelle
MacMadame
on 2/11/10 8:52 am - Northern, CA
I think it's really smart to bring your own food!

Are you going to bring some protein powders? I always bring them when I travel even if I end up not using them much. Also, I keep beef jerky in my purse, but I try avoid eating it because of the nitrates. I also bring packets of protein hot chocolate. I bet they serve hot chocolate in the evening and that way you can also indulge.

There are also things like PB2 that is a powder so you can have low fat Peanut Butter when everyone else is having high fat PB.

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 12:00 pm
Protein powder is on the list. I use a different powdered peanut butter product than PB2 but that is a great suggestion.

Thanks again. This is exactly why I posted. I knew I could count on you guys for some great suggestions.
MacMadame
on 2/11/10 12:04 pm - Northern, CA
Okay, now you have to tell us about this other powdered PB product. No holding out on us! LOL

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 11:50 pm

I use powdered peanut butter from Emergency Essentials. They sell all kinds of dried and powdered foods. It comes in a huge can and lasts forever. I am cheap - LOL!

I am don't eat it by itself but it is great in shakes and receipes. 70 cal and 6 gms of protein for 2 tablespoons. Don't remember the fat content but most of the calories missing are the fat calories.

Where in Northern Cal are you? I am in the South Bay.

Michelle

MacMadame
on 2/11/10 11:59 pm - Northern, CA
I'm in the East Bay!

I use my PB2 in recipes too.

jonscutie
on 2/12/10 12:49 am
Great minds think alike!
Sherry_Berry
on 2/12/10 12:19 pm - Dacula, GA

My fellow SkirtSports sponsored girls run the "Rim2Rim" across the GC every year. I hope to join them! What an adventure!

We visited the GC after IMAZ in 08. Never could hike down b/c it snowed. It was BEAUTIFUL!

Have fun! Get some sort of water filtration or purification system. You never know if you're gonna run into trouble down there!

Most Active