Hiking the Grand Canyon

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 2:01 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. I am a little over 2 years post RNY. I have been exercising consistently but beginning in September, I joined a gym and worked with a personal trainer and really upped the intensity of my workouts. I can really see the difference. I have stomach muscles for the first time in my life!

Both my son and husband are long time jocks. We are finally going to go on the type of vacation that they have wanted to do for years - the three of us together.

I don't doubt my ability to hike down the Canyon and then back up. I am concerned about what to bring for eating on the trail.

I have some reactive hypoglycemia. I have to watch my carb intake and make sure it is always balanced with protein.

I am looking for suggestions on stuff that is portable on the trail. Nuts are an obvious choice but I am looking for other suggestions that work for other people that might have trouble with carbs.

Thanks for you help.

Michelle

MacMadame
on 2/11/10 3:09 am - Northern, CA
Trail mix! It's got the carbs, but it also has protein and fat to balance it out. Plus, you can make your own and control exactly how much protein, carbs and fat it has.
jonscutie
on 2/11/10 6:32 am

Thanks! it is a great idea to make my own!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/11/10 3:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
Beef Jerky! Bananas!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 6:33 am
Beef jerky sounds good. Not sure how well a banana would survive in a back pack - maybe banana chips?!

Thanks!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/11/10 7:33 am - Fort Worth, TX
Banana chips are great but most are fried in coconut oil and have added sugar. Go to a whole foods or health food store for the good ones.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 7:51 am
Thanks for the warning. I hadn't thought about that.

Maybe I will try to find a recipe and make some myself.
niffer1283
on 2/11/10 4:10 am - Richmond, IN
I agree with MacMadame. I make my own trail mix with dry roasted peanuts, raisins, and just enough semi-sweet chocolate morsels to give it a little sweetness.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

jonscutie
on 2/11/10 6:35 am
Thanks for the thought - not sure I can handle the chocolate chips - but making my own trail mix is a good place to start.

Michelle
niffer1283
on 2/11/10 6:58 am - Richmond, IN
Oh, don't put too many in there! And use dark chocolate. Almonds or walnuts would actually be better than dry roasted peanuts, but I don't like 'em. You could put dried cranberries, banana chips, etc. in there, too. Making it yourself, you know what's in there and how much.

Good luck! Sounds like a great trip.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

Most Active