Never the "athletic" type...

ValerieSD
on 2/10/10 4:13 pm
OK... so here it is...  I have been a big girl ever since elementary school...  I have always been a big sports fan (Go Chargers! Go Padres!) but to say I was out of shape would be a great understatement.  I am talking non-existent muscle tone.

I had RNY on August 11, 2009, and I am down 115 pounds (I still have about 80 pounds to go).    I know that the only way for me to keep the weight loss going was to get into working out.  With the recent weight loss, it is much easier to think about working out.

So I joined 24 Hour Fitness, hired a personal trainer, and...  I LOVE IT!!  I work my butt off, sweating like I never have ever done in my life, but 20 minutes after a hard work out I feel FABULOUS...

It is seriously the best part of my day.  I am in the gym a minimum of 6 days each week, and typically I do 40-50 minutes of cardio (treadmill, interval training is my fave) and 40 minutes of circuit training or free weights.  I split the days between lower and upper body due to my trainer's suggestion.

So here is the "issue"... two of my best friends joined with me for support, but no one else wants to hear about it.  If I tell people I am going to the gym, I get the rolled eyes and comments like, "You are being a bit obsessive".  I know my family and friends don't want to sabotage me, but I can't get people to understand that I have to do this and make it a habit.

Do I just stop talking about it?  Do I lie when people ask what I am up to or where I am going?  Maybe I do talk about it too much... but I am really liking it, and I feel bad that I can't mention it to people as an activity I like.  I guess the whole :liking physical activity" is new to me and I don't know how to handle it...

Did any of you deal with anything like this?

Thanks!

Valerie

niffer1283
on 2/10/10 6:43 pm - Richmond, IN
If they ask where you're going, tell them. If they don't, don't. You can't control their response, you can only control yours. I'm really happy you're enjoying your workouts, that's very important to keep you motivated. WE'RE all for you here...so if you want to talk about it, we'll listen!

Good luck!

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

jet03
on 2/10/10 7:11 pm - Canada
You don't need to make excuses to anyone for adopthing a healthy lifestyle. I just go and do my own thing, if no one follows, that's ok. 

Keep on exercising for yourself; remember you are adopting a new lifestyle. I have found that this forum is a great sounding board for exercise chatting.

Jet

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wxRQRwT/weight.png">>

superconducting
on 2/10/10 8:47 pm - Montgomery, NY
 Val, I get that a lot.  I am running a lot and either going to the gym or working out in my home gym 6 days a week too, and almost everyone I talk to about thinks I'm nuts.  I also get the "you're don't need to lose any more weight" thing from people constantly, even though I'm a. still trying to lose about 25 more pounds and b. trying to eat healthy regardless of whether I need to lose more (it seems most people think if weight isn't a problem, you can eat whatever garbage you want!!!)  

The reality is, most of us had an unhealthy addiction, and a personality ripe for obsessive behavior (you don't get to be 300-400 pounds by not being addicted to food, in most cases), and the reality is we need to transfer to something.  Training for a half marathon seemed ideal for me.  Am I getting addicted to it, obsessed with it?  Yea, but you know what?  I like the new me, and I know at least one person (my wife) that likes it too, so I'm good with that :)  

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/10/10 10:00 pm - Fort Worth, TX
The undedicated use the word "Obsesssive" to describe the dedicated... Tell them about it, tell them often, you may end up motivating them too.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

niffer1283
on 2/10/10 10:07 pm - Richmond, IN
"The undedicated use the word "obsessive" to describe the dedicated."

I like that! Consider it stolen.

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

mcarthur01
on 2/11/10 12:18 am - Cumming, GA
i've put a lot of thought into this over the past year.  i definitely got a lot of push-back/blow-back when i started to train regularly and eat healthily, mostly due to me talking about it a lot.  the issue isn't that you're obsessed or that you are talking about it too much, the issue really is the more you talk about it the bigger a reminder it is to those that are not leading a healthy lifestyle that they are not.... and it makes them feel guilty.  because they don't want to feel guilty, it is easier to become annoyed when they are reminded and try to avoid the situations by making you feel bad for talking about it too much.  i felt the same way when i was at my heaviest, think about it, you avoid what makes you feel bad, be it a mirror, getting your picture taken, or talking fitness/good nutrition with somebody.

because of this, i've really cut back on how much i talk about fitness and nutrition, and will really only discuss it with people if they ask me questions.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

on 2/11/10 2:08 am - National City, MI
Valerie, I get the same thing alot. People rolling their eyes, telling me that I'm nuts for doing it. But, I keep doing it because in my mind, I think that THEY are nuts for NOT doing it. Some of the eye rollers have actually started to come around and are now eating better and excercising because they see me do it! I say , keep doing what you're doing. Don't let them slow you down. Maybe don't bring i tup unless they ask about it but, certainly don't lie a bout what you're doing. Who knows, you may even inspire some of those people to follow your lead! Good luck to you!
bandhope
on 2/11/10 2:18 am - TX
I can relate. When people learned that I completed my first half marathon, I was surprised by some of their responses. Most people were very kind to me, but I was shocked by how most people added negative things about themselves at the end. I think we are so critic of ourselves and we all tend to "size ourselves up" to others. It is a horrible thing we do to ourselves.

I've always loved the feeling of working out, but when my weight got out of control getting in the gym took on a life of it's own. I was so caught up in "I don't belong" feeling. I was so worried about what other were thinking of me. I felt so terrible about myself and so defeated. After the weight came off and it physically became easier it also, became easier emotionally. It took awhile to feel like I truly belonged, but I realized this journey is about me. I'm the only one that can fix my mess and I'm the one calling the shots. I now view working out as "my time". I love when people join me and the company is always good, but I know my choices have to be based on me. My family really benefits from it too, because I'm the best me I can give them now.

Do this for you and make it about you! It's not selfish to care for yourself. You are doing a good job! Your emotional state will be soaring as much as your physical state!
I think if you keep at it and people see your amazing changes it will inspire them too, but they have to do things on their terms. Try not to let their defenses offend you and keep you from doing this for you! Best wishes!!
MacMadame
on 2/11/10 3:08 am - Northern, CA
I don't know about you, but when I get a new hobby, I do tend to live, breathe and eat it. I'm sure that can bore some people. I try to be sensitive, but I'm enthusiastic and I want to share my enthusiasm.

The thing is, the newness does wear off after a while and you will find yourself talking about it less. At the same time, you are going to make new friends who share your interests and will talk about working out as much as you want.

So it's a problem that kind of takes care of itself.
Most Active