Please help...Carb craving from extreme exercise?

candancee1
on 2/10/10 1:37 pm
I have been exercising a lot this week. And I mean A LOT--I have seriously increased my exercise level and and time in the gym. Which is great, right? Sure. But, I a seriously craving carbs today. Really bad. I do NOT want protein at all. Is it normal to crave carbs like this after working out?

And also, what is the best to eat after a workout--say about a 1 1/2 hour workout with an hour of cardio and resistance--protein, a protein drink, or a few carbs?

I welcome any and all suggestions.

Candance

MacMadame
on 2/10/10 4:14 pm - Northern, CA
I think it's normal to be extra hungry when you bump up your workouts. What you crave is going to depend .. everyone is different it seems. I crave carbs when i eat too many or when I'm thirsty.

For fueling workouts, here are some rules of thumb:

You usually don't want to go into a workout on fumes. If it's been a while since you ate, you need to have a little snack beforehand. How much beforehand depends on you and the activity. If you eat too much or too close to running, for example, a lot of people have gastro-intestinal issues.

I like to have something in the 60-100 calories range, high in carbs, about an hour before working out.

Then, during the workout, it depends on the duration:

1 hour workouts, you can have jus****er and be fine
2 hour workouts, you need to replace some carbs and electrolytes
3 hour+ workouts, you also need to replace some protein and a little fat, if you can.

Then, no matter how long you've worked out, you want to eat something with a combination of protein and carbs (and fat too, if you can) within 30-60 min. of working out. You'll see ratios of 3:1 and 4:1 carbs to protein being recommended, but no one has actually studied what is the ideal ratio. But things like a PB & J sandwich or chocolate milk seem to work well and have the right ratios for most people.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

candancee1
on 2/11/10 12:10 am
 Thank you Mac. That answers all of my questions. I probably am craving carbs from thirst--and too many carbs. I'll keep an eye on that.

I'm heading off to the gym now for a session with my trainer, then an hour of cardio. I'll try the pb&j after . 

Thanks again,
Candance 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/10/10 10:02 pm - Fort Worth, TX
What Mac said.... Your body needs carbs, just get them in good forms like fruits, veggies, whole wheat, brown rice, etc...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

candancee1
on 2/11/10 12:12 am
 Thank you. Thankfully, the carbs I've been carving are fruits and nuts. A lot of fruits. 

Candance
MacMadame
on 2/11/10 2:09 am - Northern, CA
Fruit has a lot of liquid in it... which points to thirst as a possible driver.

How much are you drinking a day anyway? I know I have trouble drinking enough to match my exercise. I can drink the recommended 64 oz. easily enough... but you need more when you exercise.

The recommendation for endurance sports is 20-40 oz. of fluid per hour. (Depending on how much you sweat, etc.)

I have to say, I pretty much never get that and I seem to do fine, though. I find I do best with about 200 calories an hour and 20 oz. per 90 minutes.

The thing about nutrition during long exercise sessions is that it's very individual. So all the "rules" are really just guidelines.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active