When can I run?

Eme 2009
on 2/9/10 3:02 am - FL
When is it safe to start running post-op?  I had VSG 4 weeks ago and would like to be able to start interval training at the beginning of March. 

Any input would be appreciated!  Thanks :)

HW: 251  SW: 243  CW: 146  Height: 5'6.5"

Linn D.
on 2/9/10 4:00 am - Missoula, MT
It's safe when your surgeon tells you it is.  A lot of people get hernias if they try doing too much too soon even if their surgery was laproscopic.

Also realize that it will be a slow road.  You're not going to be able to do everything you want to right away, so try to be patient with your body as it heals and let yourself build up slowly.  I hear too many people with overuse injuries partly because they didn't progress slowly enough to allow their bodies and joints to catch up with their cardio system.  Today is just the beginning.

Linn
Eme 2009
on 2/9/10 8:47 am - FL
Thanks, Linn.

MacMadame
on 2/9/10 2:25 pm - Northern, CA
I started doing the Couch-to-5K program at one month out. I was cleared to go back to the gym at 2 weeks, but I didn't feel up to running until farther out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Eme 2009
on 2/10/10 9:51 am - FL
Thanks so much, MacMadame!  I will be exactly one month on Saturday.  I feel good, I'm just nervous about jostling myself around too much and wanted to hear from someone else. :)

MacMadame
on 2/10/10 1:40 pm - Northern, CA
Just play it by ear... I also tried Jazzercise at 1 month out and YIKES it hurt my tummy area. But running didn't bother me at all.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/10/10 10:16 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I would start with walking and get clearance from your surgeon when you are ready to step it up....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active