Cyclists -- question on trainer

saxman007
on 2/8/10 12:38 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Using the triathlete magazine training charts for my Ironman and really digging the workouts and pacing throughout.  
Got a question, considering that I'm praying for a snow day on Wednesday (6-10" and with the right wind that we could get more, fingers are crossed) it'll be awhile before I'm able to take the bike out on the roads.  So here's the question: training chart calls for hill repeats.  How can you do that on a trainer?  The sprints were easy, but for hill work do I just dump it into my biggest gear and grind as much as possible?  Plan called for 8x1 minute repeats but doing the above method I fried my legs and only did 3.
Any thoughts?

Sherry_Berry
on 2/8/10 7:28 pm - Dacula, GA
I have a lot of trouble doing standing climbs on my trainer unless I put so much resistance on I burn my tire.

Anyhoo-can you do hill repeats on a spin bike at gym?
Rob S.
on 2/8/10 8:52 pm - DE
Get to the gym!  Use one of the spinning bikes.
Seht
on 2/9/10 12:31 am
It is hard on the tires, but Continetal makes a tire specifically for the trainer.
I bought one this year.
Here is a link to the tire
http://www.glorycycles.com/coulsphotrti.html
I had the local bike store order me one.

It also depends on the type of trainer you have.  Can you adjust the resistance of the trainer as well.
So between your gearing and the resistance of the trainer you should be able to simulate hills pretty well.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active