Advice needed ASAP on this week's long run!!!

KittenLove
on 2/7/10 3:06 am, edited 2/7/10 3:09 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Today is this wk's long run...6 miles..but my right knee is hurting pretty bad...I just can't run on it AT ALL so I'm at the gym now on my Blackberry doing 6 miles on the elliptical instead..

How is this going to affect my half training schedule--should I just quit?

Be happy. 

Cassie W.
on 2/7/10 3:27 am
If the elliptical hurts your knee, don't do it.  Take the time off to rest your knee so you can resume your training.  You don't want to damage it to the point that you won't be able to run at all.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

KittenLove
on 2/7/10 3:34 am - Around Knoxville, TN
Elliptical doesn't hurt at all but I'm just worried how this will affect my training..I'm following a 10 wk program from marathonrookie.com and its very day specific and I just don't want to mess up!! I know how important the long run is

Be happy. 

Cassie W.
on 2/7/10 3:42 am
You'll do ok replacing your long run with time on the elliptical to let the knee heal.  For the Disney marathon in January 2009, I had to replace half my training with cycling and pool running due to an IT band injury and still made it to the finish.  The goal right now is to protect that knee and give it a chance to heal.  Even after today's elliptical, I'd suggest icing it to relieve any inflammation.

You may want to get an appointment with your doctor to check things out.

Good luck.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

(deactivated member)
on 2/7/10 12:32 pm - Maumelle, AR
I second the advice to get it checked out - if it's something that can be easily fixed with a little PT, then it's better to know now while you're in the early stages of running. 

I have a friend who has relied on an elliptical to retain her conditioning while she nurses a foot injury, and it's not affected her ability to go on long runs at all - we went on a 15k road race yesterday and she made great time, however the impact on her foot killed her!

Most Active