increase intensity?

sunni1974
on 2/3/10 9:52 am
 Hello All,

When adding to my exercise routine (on machines like treadmill, bike, elliptical) do you suggest increasing speed or resistance? I have increased both but focused more on  increasing the resistance levels.  My knees have been bothering me the last couple of weeks (sore in general and feel hot after workouts) and wondering if this is the cause and if I should back off the resistance and increase the pace instead?  Thanks for any input.

326 start weight 280 day of surgery        
Linn D.
on 2/3/10 1:43 pm - Missoula, MT
My knees seem to bark at me more when I do high resistance on the bike but don't when I run faster.  I guess my suggestion would be to increase speed on the TM to start with.  That should get your heart rate up.  You can increase the speed on the bike as well but only use moderate resistances.  The main thing is to increase your heart rate without hurting anything.  It's hard to increase your speed on the elliptical and still keep in control, so keep the resistance moderate there as well.  Don't move up too fast too soon, though, since that may be the underlying problem you're having now.

Linn
sunni1974
on 2/3/10 11:41 pm
 Thanks for the suggestions.  I am going to try lower the resistance and see if that makes a difference.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/3/10 10:07 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Sounds like you might have IT Band issues... Do you have good running shoes that were fitted by a running store? How's your stretching? Usually with IT Band issues, you will notice discomfort when you increase load... typically with resistance on bike, and hills up or down on the run. Go see a Chiro if it's bad enough, otherwise, get you a foam roller and start using it in your normal stretching regimen....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

sunni1974
on 2/3/10 11:42 pm
 Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't have great running shoes so need to go do that.  Stretching is good but I will look into a foam roller.  Thanks again.

jenjengrins
on 2/4/10 12:30 am - Olathe, KS
I would be cautious; you don't want to hurt yourself to the point you can't workout.  Have you considered trying something else for a short time?  Have you tried interval training?  It might help you.

7.8 cc in a 10 cc band, Started at 378 lbs
Goodbye 300 forever and ever! 07/18/2009

Tummy Tuck August 13, 2010

sunni1974
on 2/5/10 10:34 am
 I am planning on taking it a bit slower this week because you're right I don't want to cause any problem that prevents me from working out.   Years ago when I had lost a bunch of weight and worked out on a regular basis I had big probs with my knees and don't want to go there again.  Don't really know what interval training is but will google some.  Thanks for the advice!

Most Active