Getting started on exercise

lisa_clairemont
on 2/3/10 12:03 am
Okay so I am reading her and everyone seems like they are super athletic. I haven't even had WLS yet. How do you get started and find a routine?

Katari
on 2/3/10 12:17 am - OR
Congrats on wanting to start exercising! Not all of us here are super athletes LOL. My .02: Start by doing what you can. If you can get out and walk a mile, start challenging your self to walk a little further each week. If you can only walk a block, try adding a block a week. Find something you like to do and do it. I find I enjoy running ( I used the c25k program (www.c25k.com)). I also enjoy bike riding. I don't really like swimming laps so I don't force my self to do it. I'm so-so on the weight lifting so while I do some, I'm not all gung ho on that front. Finding something you like lets you stick to it, rather than forcing yourself to do something you don't want to do in the first place and eventually stop doing it altogether and feel like a failure because you couldn't stick with it.

Like I said though, That's just my .02. I'm sure someone else will have some great ideas as well.

Welcome to the exercise and fitness forum!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

lisa_clairemont
on 2/3/10 12:57 am
I appreciate the insight. I did get to the gym yesterday but that was it. I just am not entirely sure where to start.
Katari
on 2/3/10 1:09 am - OR
You might try walking on the treadmill and doing some cycling as well as the stair stepper and see what you can do there. You could start doing some weights lower weights/good reps/sets.  You can also google exercising and see some video's of how to perform some of the lifting and what/where it helps (i.e. shoulders, chest, back. etc) Does the gym offer a trainer who could show you the machines and show you how to use them as well as where things like weights are kept and give tips on exercises? I know when I joined a gym years ago they offered a new member free one time train session. I don't do the gym thing anymore I work out on weights at home and do all my cardio outside unless the weather is REALLY bad.  You might see what type of classes they offer as well, or rent some workout video's from your local rental place and see if you like a variety of different workouts at home as well.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

niffer1283
on 2/3/10 1:10 am - Richmond, IN
I know what you mean! Some of these guys are exercise animals!! And I mean that in a GOOD way.  What the previous poster said is exactly right...you have to do something you enjoy doing, or you probably won't stick with it. As long as you're moving and doing it consistently, it's all good! The people here are very encouraging and supportive, no matter what level you're at.

Good luck to ya!

Jenny
He is ill clothed that is bare of virtue. ~~ Benjamin Franklin

RNY 05/29/2008
http://www.jensgyrations.blogspot.com

tripletdad7
on 2/3/10 2:21 am

Congrats on your decision to increase your exercise.  I am no where near athletic, but I have found this group to be helpful.  Check out my suggestions below, but continue to read the experienced peoples comments as well as that is where I learn from.

Check out www.c25k.com (couch to 5k) and http://hundredpushups.com/index.html (100 pushup challenge).  Both have been helpful to me in getting my butt moving from 0 activity. 

MacMadame
on 2/4/10 2:48 pm - Northern, CA
I started going to the gym 1x a week for 30 minutes. How's that for not-super athletic?

You have to start where you are at and build up from there. Some people can start out running, while others need to start out walking. Whatever you are doing, make it a habit and then add on a little more.

I went from 1x a week to 2x until I got up to 4-5x. Then I started increasing the time from 30 to 45 min to 60, etc.

So people were posting about their 2 hour workouts and I was saying "30 min. on the stationary bike" Yeah, I felt weird, but I kept at it and now I'm one of the people training for an Ironman!

Just run your own race... find something that you like to do... and don't worry about what other people are doing.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active