I Think PT Calculated my Body Fat Wrong

MacMadame
on 2/4/10 2:41 pm - Northern, CA
The online formulas are COMPLETLY BOGUS. They don't take enough measurements to be anything but a stab in the dark. Plus they vary so much that it's just a random number IMO.

Calipers can be good if done by someone well trained. But, if they aren't well trained, they are way off. Plus, they over-estimate body fat in people who have been MO because of the loose skin.

The most accurate is a DEXA scan. Some companies do them for as little as $75-99. The next most accurate is the dunk tank method. But they can be thrown off if you don't get all the air out of your lungs before you go under.

Calipers said my body fat was 17% last time I got measured. I thought that was reasonable but a bit high. My scale, which uses bio-impedance and has lots of high-tech doo-dads said that I had 9-12% body fat at that time. No way because that's essential body fat for a woman and I had extra fat beyond the essential body fat. So I'm figuring my real body fat percentage was 15% at that time.

Based on your pictures, I think yours could easily be under 20%. No way it's in the 30s!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active