I Think PT Calculated my Body Fat Wrong

Liaazul
on 2/2/10 10:45 pm - MD
Today I asked my PT to calculate my percentage body fat, but I think he got it wrong, cause the results he have my was 15.1% body fat.

I find that absolutely hard to believe, especially when I compare to the body fat calculators online that are giving me 31.22 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 24.71 % using the YMCA formula (whatever that means).

The PT used only a tool that pinched me on my navel, my waist and my back... he got numbers out of it and calculated some things, gave me the 15.1% body fat result and pointed to a chart saying that it was excellent.

Honestly, I think something is off. He did not even weigh me in. What do you think?

What about these online calculators, and what's the difference with the Navy or YMCA formulas?
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 2/2/10 11:28 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Liaazu
A 15.1% is awesome Babeeee.  Maybe the rest  of the weight is muscle.  I will have to check mine out on YMCA. 
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Liaazul
on 2/2/10 11:50 pm - MD
Hi Wendy, babeeeeeee! See, the number he gave me is just "too good to be true", seriously. That's like body fat of an athlete, far from who I am, of course. I think he got his math wrong.

Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

bwburgin1015
on 2/3/10 12:45 am - NC
The Pinchers are USUALLY more accurate than the formulas.  But they have to be done right.  I'm not sure how well they work with WLS patients considering the excess skin that will be there. That being said...there are some other pretty accurate methods that can usually be found at a YMCA, Wellness Center, and Most gyms.  The handheld calculators determine body fat percentage based on conductivity.  It sends a current throughout your body (you can't feel it) and measures based on that.  It can vary depending on how hydrated you are, but is usually pretty accurate within a percentage point or two.  There is also something called a "Bod Pod" that is available at some YMCA's.  Not sure how it works but I've been told by reliable sources that they are extremely accurate.  I use a handheld calculator at a local wellness center where they will check body fat, weight, bp, heartrate, blood sugar, cholesterol, etc. for free.  Good luck.  If you are 15.1% that is GREAT!

Liaazul
on 2/3/10 2:16 am - MD
bwburgin1915, I just ordered this: Omron HBF-306 Body Fat Analyzer... it sounds like the hand held device you're talking about.

I don't have much extra skin on the parts where he measured (belly, back and waist), mine are in other places, of course, but I still don't trust his math, and doubt I'm 15.1%.

Thanks for the tips. The gadget I'm waiting for probably will give me a good reference to crosscheck what the PT calculated.

bwburgin1015
on 2/3/10 4:35 am - NC
Thats the one!  And the Bod Pod I mentioned is the hydrostatic test.  Let us know the results!
Seht
on 2/3/10 12:50 am
If you want an accurate reading go get a dunk test.
Hyrdrostatic body fat testing is more accurate.  Here is a link to a site that does them
http://www.getdunked.com/home/default.asp

Here is a site that lists the different caliper methods
http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

If you still have loose skin, that caliper method isn't going to be accurate.  Your skin is going to add thickness to the measurement that isn't valid.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Liaazul
on 2/3/10 2:19 am - MD
Seht:

I've heard of this hydrostatic body fat testing a while back from my nutritionist, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Regarding the caliper method... If you have loose skin appears that you have more or less body fat? I don't have that much skin in the areas he pinched, tough.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 2/3/10 4:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
15% is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too low for a woman... My friend Sydney, one a slot to Ironman World Championships, and is absolutely shredded and is usually about 14%-16%... My guess is opreator error, 33% is a very healthy body fat. Anything under 35% for a woman is considered good.... I am guessing you are somewhere between 33% and 15.1%. Either way, you are in great shape!!! Congrats...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Liaazul
on 2/3/10 5:06 am - MD
I'm pretty sure it was operator's error, Dan. I trust more the online calculators where I input my measurements than the PT results. If 33% from that calculator is good, that's what I aiming for... healthy body fat.

Most Active