Does running pace matter?

KittenLove
on 1/31/10 11:38 am - Around Knoxville, TN
I want to finish my half marathon in under 3 hrs..running it all. I'm 5'4 with about a 28 inch pant inseam (short legs)..4.9-5.0 seems to be my feel good sustainable pace...is this that bad or good since I'm a shorty? I mean, I feel like my 5.0 equals someone else's 7.0

Be happy. 

Linn D.
on 1/31/10 1:13 pm - Missoula, MT
The pace you run depends a lot on both your goals and your fitness.  I've read that people should take between 85-100 steps per minute.  If I remember right, the elites take more like 100-120.  Yes, I've counted, and I take about 90-95 at a 6.8 on the TM and around 100-105 at 7.5-8.0.  That feels completely comfortable to me now.  When I run slower or take fewer steps/minute, it feels labored to me. I'm a little taller than you, but am also blessed with short legs.  I work on speed at least once a week and it has helped me out a lot.

Don't let your size dictate how fast you think you can go.  My mom is only 5'2" and when she was in her 30's she was running sub 25-minute 5k's and 53 minute 10k's.  It's all about the training.  I did my first half in 2:21, so  under 3 hours is easily do-able for you!

Linn
Scott William
on 1/31/10 8:24 pm
I agree with Linn.  I don't think that size has as much to do with it as logic might dictate.  Haile Gebrselassie is the world record holder in the marathon and he is 5'5".  Many of the greats are short.  Bill Rogers can' be much more than that.  It is about fitness and turnover.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 1/31/10 10:28 pm - Missoula, MT
I got to thinking this morning, that I probably should recommend that you try to increase the steps gradually.  It's WAY too easy to get overuse injuries!

Linn 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/31/10 11:21 pm - Fort Worth, TX
My buddy Brent is 5'5" and won 5th overar all at the Dallas White Rock Marathon half and averaged 5:45 minutes per mile. (About 11.5 mph on the treadmill) so don't let your size dictate your speed, that will come with time. If your goal is to finish the race stay in your comfort zone... If your goal is to leave it all out there and "Race" your race, run hard the whole way... Best of luck!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 2/1/10 12:11 am
It is some times harder for me to run slower than faster.  It just feels more comfortable at a faster speed, but I know I won't be able to keep that speed up for the same distance.  So I have to modify and constantly check myself when I'm running.

I just listened to a podcast with Matt Reed.  He is 6' 5" tall.
He was talking about running a 1/2 marathon with Dina Caster who is 5'3" tall.
He ran the first mile at a 5:03 pace, she ran it in 4:40 pace.  She finished the 1/2 marathon in 1:09:40.
So he is over a foot taller than her.  He is also a world class athlete, and she smoked him by over 20 second on the first mile.
He said there is no way he can run with her.

So don't let your size limit you.

Have fun and enjoy the race, you will do great.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active