5k ???

-Mari-
on 1/28/10 11:24 am
I read the post below, thanks for that info. But do we need to eat differently? Do you have to have good running shoes for this short (I say short, now. LOL) of a run? Any other good ideas, I am definitely a couch to run, although I do brisk walk and do some weight training, but running has not been on my list in a very long time. Thanks in advance.
This will be my first Marathon and I'm excited and a little scared.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Katari
on 1/28/10 11:49 am - OR
I don't really eat any differently, but good running shoes are a MUST in my opinion. They make all the difference in the world!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Linn D.
on 1/28/10 12:34 pm - Missoula, MT
Nutrition isn't a big deal for shorter distances unless you start to have problems.  I WOULD start having a small meal right after a workout, though.  I eat a Cliff bar or half a PB&J sand after any workout - even one as short as 30 minutes.  I eat more or again in an hour when my workouts are longer.

The biggest benefit of having good shoes is injury prevention.  Go to a running store and have them watch how you walk/run to determine the type of shoe you need.  My shoes generally run me $90 - $115 and they are well worth it.

Linn
-Mari-
on 1/28/10 2:24 pm
Thanks Katari and Linn
I have some good shoes, but they are skater shoes, (DC"S) so I will have to get runners. I started tonight and OMG it was harder than I thought. But I am determined, so day 1 is done!
Katari
on 1/28/10 10:20 pm - OR
Great job! The first day is always the hardest. LOL. I thought that first 60 second run was gonna kil me! Now I've finished the program and am running (alright, jogging) 30 minutes with out any walking! Keep up the good work,!
Katie 

-Mari-
on 1/29/10 4:49 am
Thanks, I can't even imagine doing 30 minutes. I did find the site, today, that has music set up just for the training that give you clues when to change the stride. Thank goodness, I was counting last night, may have counted a little slower on the walking part. LOL
Katari
on 1/29/10 5:49 am - OR
LOL. Glad you found the music that'll clue you in. Just remember to take the program at your own pace. You don't have to advance if it's not comfortable for you!
Katie 

superconducting
on 1/28/10 11:00 pm - Montgomery, NY
definitely invest in some running shoes, and do some research on whether you under or over pronate, it will make such a big difference for you, I promise.   Also, don't try to be a hero and push too hard early on.. I found when I had to take a few days off because I was so tired and sore it was much worse than if I had just stayed with my plan in the beginning and not totally wore myself out.

-Mari-
on 1/29/10 4:53 am
My friend told me, too, that I need to go to a good running store to get the shoes, I have no clue what under or over pronate means, but I'm sure they will tell me. Something to do with how I place my foot, I would guess. I know I have high in steps, but that's it as far as my knowledge on my feet go. LOL I've read a few different training plans, one says 2 days on, 1 off, the other every other day. I'll have to research a little more. Thanks for he advise and steering me to this forum.
superconducting
on 1/29/10 5:27 am - Montgomery, NY
basically it relates to whether you roll your foot in or out.. if you have high arches, I understand you are more likely to under pronate (that would be me).  All I know is my wife thought I was nuts for buying a $120 pair of sneakers, but wow, it made such a difference for me.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-77 27-0,00.html 

Most Active