What to Say to Personal Trainer on First Meeting?

Liaazul
on 1/22/10 2:15 am - MD
I believe this is my first posting on this forum, because, honestly, I've been on and off (mostly off) on my exercise routine post op.

For a while I walked 30 min a day, sporadically I used a work out DVD and last about 3 months ago I got a gym membership... for which I just started using this week.

An accomplished runner, friend of mine told me that I'd only be able to stick to a fitness routine if I do it first thing in the morning. I'm following her advice, and getting at the gym 6:00 a.m. for the last 3 days.

I'm challenging myself to go for the habit-forming 21 days, so to make me more accountable and to orient me on how to operate those gazzilion gym equipments, I hired a Personal Trainer.

So here I am, your humble beginner, wanna-be toned gal, trying to figure out what to say to the PT. I already told him I had WLS and I'm only 18lbs from a normal BMI, that I want to tone up and maintain my losses.

Would you have any tips?
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us on the Lightweights Board!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/10 2:30 am - Fort Worth, TX
First of all, congrats on the weight loss and starting up of a routine. Welcome to the board!!!! I would just approach your PT with your goals well thought out. When you say "I want to be toned".. Go to him / her and instead say something like: My arms are fairly weak and I notice a little definition in my bicep, but would really like to tone my tricep, and strengthen my core. Be specific about your goals, problem areas, and don't settle for the 1st PT you are paired with. I would try a few to get a variety then committ to a long-term regime with one that you like. ROCK ON!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Liaazul
on 1/22/10 3:28 am - MD
Those were great tips, Dan. I'm writing down the specific toning I'm looking for. I'm originally from Brazil, and I grew up with a set of "ideal female" body that sometimes different than some of my female American friends have shared they look for.

For instance... meanwhile some of my friends want to reduce their "gluteus maximus", I really don't want to reduce it... just firm it. I sure want to work the biceps and core as you mentioned, as well my thighs.

I like the tip about not settling with the first PT assigned. Although I don't really know what I should be looking for... what is more effective? A excessively demanding and controlling PT or a well mannered one?
Height 5'5" -- HW 273/SW 269/CW159/1st Goal 169(Achieved!)/2nd Goal 150 (Normal BMI)  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Seht
on 1/22/10 4:25 am
Hello, and welcome to the board.
The PT of your choice would depend on which one you respond to better.
I need a hard head demanding trainer.  Anything else and I'm a slacker.

You may find it hard to find one that knows anything about what you have gone through to get to where you are now.  How you lost you weight, what you can and can't eat things like that.  You may get recommendations from them that are counter productive to what your Dr. has told you.
At least that is what I have experience in my area.

Try to find one that isn't just going to give you his or her standard workout one size fits all plan.  You want one that is going to customize the workouts for your needs and goals.
Ask around at the local clubs, talk to friends or athletes in the area that might be using a trainer.  See what kind of reviews they get from their customers.

Good luck finding the right one.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/10 4:27 am - Fort Worth, TX
That really depends on how YOU respond to direction. If someone were to yell at me like a kid, I would tell them to go take a flying leap and bounce out of there. I respond to positive encouragement, not being talked down to. When I say find a PT you like, I mean find one that helps show you results, makes you want to come back for more, and one you get along with well... It's your hard-earned money, spend it wisely and with a "Good Fit"... (Find one that likes a lil "Junk in the trunk" too)
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kerniec
on 1/23/10 7:39 pm, edited 1/23/10 7:39 pm - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14

Hi girl!!!!

Ya'll must know this is one of my FAVE OH people in the whole wide world...........

Just wanted to say welcome.......you know gyms and PTs not in my budget right now but maybe one day when I have my s--t together girl!  So glad to see you here, I'm finally posting on OH again this weekend, may this trend continue!

I was so going to run this morning but the city has flooded so I'm going to make it a late afternoon run.  I haven't bought my reflective vest yet from Lowe's, I keep forgetting...........

I agree with Dan though you need somone who appreciates some nice junk!  Personally, I am glad I have junk left and want to accentuate it rather than kick it to the curb!!!  Running has been good..........but my walking helps too, they work it differently. 

I hope you have fun, keep me/us posted..........

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Liaazul
on 1/24/10 1:51 am - MD
Babeeeeeee Kernie, you're here too. I should have guessed it, with your commitment to fitness, you're obviously a poster here.

The other day I was just whining at the LWs board on how much I envy and admire YOU, Kat and MacMadam for all the improvements you have done in working out religiously.

I'm on day 5 of going to the gym every day. I'm trying to do 21 days in a roll to get a habit forming. Tomorrow I meet the PT. I'll post about it.

Yeah, babeee, save our junks!

I'm glad you're back posting, things get boring without you around OH.

kerniec
on 1/24/10 2:31 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
Thanks dahling I miss y'all terribly too!

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active