Bariatirc cycling club... any thoughts

ohbearly
on 1/22/10 12:38 am, edited 1/22/10 12:39 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Hi Guys,
 I am going to cross post this on a few boards. So, excuse the duplicates that you may come across.  

I am 18 months out from surgery and doing great. Over the past year I developed a real love for cycling. During this time, I began cycling with some fellow WLS patients and members of my support group. We had a wonderful summer and fall of biking rail trails and a variety of trails in our area. This winter we decided to start an actual cycling club for bariatric patients. We have begun our planning and hope to be up and cycling when winter dies away and spring is in full bloom.

I am here today to see if any of you participate in a cycling club or cycle with fellow WLS patients? We are looking for input and ideas for our group. We don’t want to invent the wheel again but would rather learn form others’ experiences. From our research, we have been unable to find any other club with a similar goal and approach.

I’ll definitely share how we are doing as we get going with this effort. Right now the three of us are very excited to see this become a reality. Cycling is such great exercise and easier to do than I ever imagined. 

Give me your thoughts and ideas on this. Even if you haven’t cycled, what would entice you to cycle? What would you like a cycling club of bariatric patients to do? What would keep you from joining a group like this?  

Thanks,
Tom from Ohio

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/10 1:07 am - Fort Worth, TX

We have a support group and racing team that includes, runners, cyclists, triathletes, cyclo-crossers, etc... See support group link in my signature line. Happy Trails big daddy, that's an awesome thing you guys are doing...feel free to join our group and if you are interested in being on the racing team, pm me and I will get you details...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

ohbearly
on 1/22/10 2:09 am - Mogadore, OH
Revision on 07/31/13
Dan, Thanks for reply. I am so so happy you did. I hope to spend some time in your group. I am sure it can give us some valuable advice to get going. We're prodding along in logistics right now. Can't wait to see our baby fly. We're lining up speaking engagements at local support groups. We are planning a kick-off picnic at a great spot in a national park on a trail along a canal towpath.  This week we are approaching cycle shops looking for support. So, wish us luck! Tom

Follow my journey to a happy, healthy, active life at TomBilcze.com 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/10 2:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
Best of luck... Our group has 70 + members with similar goals and plans...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active