It's Toning Time

jkeeton81
on 1/22/10 1:21 am, edited 1/22/10 1:53 am - Denver, CO

I really would like to start toning up. I am aware that there are several ways to do it? I'm 2 months out and the skin is already starting to sag. Your advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/10 2:36 am - Fort Worth, TX
Welcome JOseph...

Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done about skin  (Aside from Plastic Surgery)... Remember, this surgery was about your health, your outward appearence, even though it is an added benefit, but follow a regular excercise program that includes strength training and cardio vascular fitness and worry about the stuff you CAN control, which skin unfortunately, is not part of... Stick around and best of luck!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

jkeeton81
on 1/22/10 2:46 am - Denver, CO

I know there will be excess skin, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that. I need a starting point.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/10 2:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
What are you doing for excercise now?

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

jkeeton81
on 1/22/10 2:48 am - Denver, CO

Right now, I'm just walking for 30 minutes a day.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/22/10 2:50 am - Fort Worth, TX
It would be awesome to see you do this and keep us posted on your progress.... www.c25k.com

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

superconducting
on 1/22/10 8:11 am - Montgomery, NY
 Joseph, congrats on losing all that weight already.  I'm definitely no expert, but what got me motivated to take the next step from a sort of walking mode to the next level of working out was my arms.. In that I mean under my triceps I was really sagging.  So I just started doing curls and french presses, and researching how to get bulk in the arms.  From there I was able to get a full routine going.  By the way, I really like this guy's site and learned a lot from it:   http://scoobysworkshop.com/

My own thought pattern is as large guys, we had a lot more strength than we think (my son likes to remind me that  just getting out of my recliner was the equiv of squatting 365 pounds) so we can make great gains as we come down in weight if its accompanied with a lifting program.  

mcarthur01
on 1/22/10 9:41 am - Cumming, GA
i would definitely suggest following a strength training program as you lose weight rapidly in the early stages post surgery, you will lose muscle, there is no way around it.  however, if you keep up with weights you will mitigate the loss and be in a much better position 6 months to a year out to begin building muscle again.  best of luck and keep coming to this forum, there are a lot of great guys and gals here and plenty of inspiration to go around.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Most Active