What can I do???

Jessica285
on 1/20/10 9:46 am - UT
I had gastric bypass two months ago and have been walking, doing the stairs, and basic exercise.  I've had a few minor complications (site infection, and two stricture corrections now).  I was just ready to start a dance class and strength class when I fell yesterday and busted my tailbone!!  Walking is still good and helps keep things from getting too stiff, but what else can I do??  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you.  :)

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/20/10 9:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
With all the injuries and complications, I would suggest that you have this convo with the Doc. I hope you recover soon. Welcome....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 1/20/10 10:46 pm
Jessica, sorry to hear about your injury.  A broken tailbone is very uncomfortable.
I hope your recovery is smoothe and as painfree as possible.

Do you have access to a pool?
Water aerobics, water running, something like that which will reduce the amount of pressure you are feeling.
As long as you can walk, keep that up, walking is great.  If you need more than that, try increasing the incline on the treadmill.  See if you can do that without pain.  Turn it into a hilly hike.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Jessica285
on 1/24/10 12:59 pm - UT

Thank you for the responses.  Unfortunately, the day I was to have my second stricture fixed, things didn't go right.  I have one of the best surgeons in the country and he said this was only the second time he had had a stricture site ulcerate... basically, when they went in to dialiate the stricture, I had a conection between the new pouch stoma and the old stomach and it perferated when they tried to dialate.... so... long story short, I basically had a whole new procedure done.  He cut back the old stomach and resutured, then he cut out the 'bad' stoma and another inch or two of intestine before reconnecting it to the pouch.  This is supposed to stop, or at least substantially lessen, the possibility of any future stricture.   It is definitely frustrating to be one of two people out of the thousand plus surgeries he has done to have these kinds of complications.  I hope this is the last of them, as I am more than ready to be out there moving and enjoying life again!!  I do feel better regarding the weight that I am down and I don't appear to be having any bloodsugar issues, so I know at least some good is coming out of it.  Now I just need to hang in there a little more while y body heals back up.  Wish me luck!!! 

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

Most Active