creatine to help build strength?

Sheila K.
on 1/20/10 7:24 am

I am curious if supplementing with pure creatine from Puritan's pride would be an option to build muscle and strength for us after we have gotten to goal? I want to start on a strengh training program and would like to begin to re-build some of the muscle and strength that I have lost.
Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Sheila

Scott William
on 1/20/10 8:21 am
If you have not started a workout program yet, I would start and see what happens first.  It is possible that you will get the results that you want without supplements.  I'd give it a few months before starting anything. 

I personally don't take anything.  I could probably benefit from some more protein, though. 

If you do take creatine, make sure that you increase your water intake to avoid kidney issues.

BTW, welcome to the board!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/20/10 9:41 am - Fort Worth, TX

Creatine mainly aids in recovery, and I take it every morning prior to workout. Creatine will not build muscle, lifting weights builds muscle. It will help with stronger pumps and recovery, but the main strength and muscle building will come from  you... Welcome and I hope you stick around !!! :) (Like Scott said... increase water intake fo shizzle)

I take 175G of protein, Creatine, Glutamine, Nitric Oxide.... 800G of Carbs p/ day 4000 +/- cals a day and try to get a lot of good fats in... (Salmon, avacado, olive oil, nuts)   *** I am not typical so certainly do not follow what I do for now, I just wanted to give you an idea of how I use supplements and nutrition. Also, I take my multi-vit, b12, vit c, fish oil, selenium, anti oxidants, and of course my calcium :)

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

superconducting
on 1/20/10 10:23 am - Montgomery, NY
 gosh I want to get to your level of exercise so I can eat like that.. not that I could actually swallow that much food right now :)  

Do you really need that much protein though?  

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/20/10 10:34 am - Fort Worth, TX
Andrew,

Yeah bro I do need that much protein. When you run 30 miles in one shot, there is some serious muscle tearing going on. Also, I am on a 10 week bulking cycle, and most muscle building authorities would agree that you should have 1g of protien for every pound you weigh. I am 215 +/ - so I am technically on the low end, but cannot force myself to do anymore than 175g... Somedays I do, but not always... What protein your body does not use, it craps out so it's all good. I do not know at 2 years post op, nor does anyone for certain, what type of protein malabsorption is going on as well. My guess is little to no malabsorption, but better to be safe than sorry.

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

superconducting
on 1/20/10 10:38 am - Montgomery, NY
can I ask what protein and other supplements you generally use on a daily basis - and what kind of strength routine you do (sorry to hijack the thread :) ) ?

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/20/10 10:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
See new thread....

www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com

Most Active