buying a treadmill- What should I know?

Stacy H.
on 1/20/10 1:30 am - Kansas, IL
I had RNY in December of 09 and really need to get my rear in motion. I live in a very small rural community and there are no gyms for over 30 miles. I figure I can save in gas money and buy a treadmill to get me moving. I would appreciate thoughts on features that are needed, those that are nice to have, and not worth the money. I want to make an informed and wise purchase.
Thanks for any insight.
I am going to ride and show my horse again.
I am going to live a healthier life.
I am going to be a positive role model for my daughter.

Seht
on 1/20/10 1:38 am
Durability over features.  When we are heavy, we put a lot of stress on the machines.  I know for a fact that I broke 2 machines at the YMCA when I first started.

As for extras, I would consider these as a mandatory in my list of needs.
I want one that can increase the incline with the push of a button, you don't want to have to stop or manually increase the incline.
If you get one with a heart rate monitor get one that has a wireless chest strap.   Most of the treamills will tell you not to use the handles once you get up to running speed, so those basically become worthless once you start running.
Then if I could afford it, one of the local gyms has a really nice one where you can minutely setup your workout, I want this speed for this long, at this incline, then adjust to this speed, then this incline, etc. etc.  Once you have your workout programmed, you can save it to a usb key, then just plug it back into the machine to do that workout again.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Stacy H.
on 1/20/10 2:32 am - Kansas, IL
Thanks. Your suggestions help. I was pretty sure I wanted one that inclined from pushing the button. I have been looking at Sears online and they have so many models and price ranges.

Do you have a suggestion for the width and lenth of the walking/running area? My husband and I are both only 5'8" so we don't have super long strides. I assumed height and stride would mean the need for a longer area?
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/20/10 2:24 am - Fort Worth, TX
Walking / running on a quiet country road is therapy to me... And a heck of a lot cheaper than a treadmill. For most of the American population... The two happiest days of our lives are the day you buy your treadmill, and the day you sell it. It is only worth the investment if you use it regularly. I would surmise that since you recently just had surgery, you might have a bit more to go to get to your goal. With that in mind, an eliptical might be a better choice because the lessened effects of impact on your joints. Get a great cardio workout, save your knees and joints from the pounding, then once you get to a comfy weight, go for walks or jogs outside, then consider getting a treadmill if you'd like. Just my two cents... Congrats on surgery and the new lease on life!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Stacy H.
on 1/20/10 2:37 am - Kansas, IL
Thanks for your two cents. I will certainly look into the elipticals. I agree with the quiet country road concept but unfortunately gravel roads are a real pain for ankles. Weather also has a greater impact on those gravel roads. This time of year is absolutely impossible to walk on them. Driving is even sometimes questionable.

My husband had mentioned the eliptical at one point. Do those have programs and monitors like treadmilss? What features would you recommend in an eliptical?

Thanks again.
I am going to ride and show my horse again.
I am going to live a healthier life.
I am going to be a positive role model for my daughter.

Seht
on 1/20/10 2:42 am
Yes, you can get them with all the same features.

For me, the eliptical is actually more uncomfortable.  It feels like an unnatural motion and bothers my hips.  It took some getting used to.  I can do it now, but occasionally it still bugs me and I have to stop.

Scott

superconducting
on 1/20/10 8:22 am - Montgomery, NY
 I think that was good advice.  I started out on an elliptical which I bought and used it as my primary cardio from the beginning.  It can really get your heart rate up without pounding the joints.  It really gave me a great workout while I lost th big part of the weight.  When the weather was nice I still went for brisk walks, which got easier and easier.   Once I lost about 100 pounds, I wanted to go to the next step and that's when I started running (really more like jogging :) ).  I was really shocked at how easy it was, at least after the first couple of runs

Of course for me, when I use the treadmill at the gym it pushes me a lot more than the elliptical, since you can set the speed that's what's dictating your pace, while on the elliptical you're in complete control of your pace all the time, thus I do feel I push myself a lot more on the treadmill vs. the elliptical.  I am still using the elliptical for my non-run day (today!).  

Seht
on 1/20/10 10:40 pm
Andrew had some great points about the speed and control of the device.
I do the same thing with the treadmill.  It doesnt' have to be for the whole workout, but 10, 30, 60 seconds I crank the speed up and make myself actually run, not jog. 

I was also using the eliptical for off days, or as my cooldown after the treadmill.  Or for those days when my legs just felt like I couldn't run another step.

Good luck with your decision. 

Scott

panhead58fl
on 1/21/10 1:26 am - Barboursville, WV

Here's a link to Runners World Magazine. It has a lot of info about treadmills. http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,ss6-240-322-0-0,00. html

pan head

Most Active