I DID IT!!!!!!

siannamay
on 1/19/10 3:00 am - Waltham, MA
ok so i just have to share my news.  I've been exercising for about 5.5 months now and going to the gym quite frequently for 4 months.  I have always had trouble with stamina when trying to run or jog.  the most i could do at one time is 4 laps around the track at my gym.  My goal was to hit a mile someday with out stopping.. Walking is no issue.. when the weather was nice I was walking 5 miles a day.....

Anyways,  Sunday i went to the gym and did 2 miles on the elliptical which is normal for me.. then i went to the track and started a slow jog.  When I got to my highest of 4 laps i just kept going.. I think i found my rhythm!!!  I had no trouble breathing which I normally do and is usually the reason i stop jogging and start to walk.  Let me tell you, I jogged 24 laps!!!!  Crazy.. that's 2.5 miles.  I couldn't believe it.  I still cant!  I had some calf pain from lap 6 to about 12 but after that it went away.  My knees hurt a little but I have bad knees anyways.  I'm just soo happy.

I'm going to attempt it again tonight.  Worried that i wont be able to do it again but I want it so bad! 

I just had to share my news.. thanks for reading

"There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone."
  -Robert Hunter

mcarthur01
on 1/19/10 3:03 am - Cumming, GA
awesome!  congrats, and watch out, this stuff is addicting :)
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 1/19/10 4:06 am
Way to go, that's great news.

Don't be discouraged if you can't do it today, because the next day you will do it again.
Everyone has up and down days. 

But now you know that you can do it.

Best wishes with your next run.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Robin S.
on 1/19/10 6:13 am - Chatsworth, CA
Oh I'm so excited for you!!   I'm just starting my journey and I don't exercise at all now and when I got on the Wii to hula hoop - after 3 min I thought I was gonna DIE!!!!    One of my long term goals is to hula hoop for 30 minutes!   I'll leave the running up to you.
I'm Just Robin!
Highest weight 250 - Goal Weight 150 - Current Weight 147
*** Hanging with Weight Watchers now to keep on track ***  
siannamay
on 1/19/10 8:27 am - Waltham, MA

I remember when i first started.  I was sooo worried that i wouldn't get the exercise in.  I started of walking and eventually built up to 5 miles a day. Unfortunately i developed pressure soars on my heels from the walking so I had to cut it down.. That's when I joined the gym.. Mid September.  That's when i really got anxious.. I never had good habits with commitment and the gym!  Fortunately I went ... and I went alot! 

I figured if I didn't do everything I could to assist the band with the weight loss, that I wouldn't succeed in this journey..  I've never worked so hard in my life and I've NEVER felt so good about myself and my achievements.  I had the surgery in July and to be honest with you, i haven't experienced restriction with my band until this past Sunday.  What that basically means is that I've had a normal appetite up until last Sunday!!!  When I tell you I can eat.... I can EAT!!!!  Fortunately for me.. i changed the things  I eat to all healthy.  Stopped eating all Bread, Rice & Pasta.  To be honest, I don't think I would have had the success I have had if I didn't work out.  It's been a life saver.. Mentally and physically...

I printed out my gym tally for the past year for insurance purposes and found that I made it to the gym 69 times in 108 days!!!!   It feels Great!!! Get that exercise in their... There are so many benefits.. so many! 

Good luck on your journey and have fun!!!  You can do it just keep at it.

-Robert Hunter

jet03
on 1/19/10 6:52 am - Canada
That's excellent; I can concur that running is addictive! I wouldn't give it up though. Congratulations on your achievement.

Jet

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wxRQRwT/weight.png">>

siannamay
on 1/19/10 8:20 am - Waltham, MA
Awwww.. Thanks everyone for the encouragement.... I am happy to report that tonight I did 27 laps which equals 3 miles!!!!!  There's no stopping me now. 

So now I need a little input........... I've read that it's the distance that matters and not so much the pace.  Wondering if that's accurate.  My miles are very slow... which I'm not too concerned about at this moment. I'm just thrilled that I'm going non stop at something other than a brisk walk.  So I'm trying to figure out what it is I should be working on...

Should I stay at the 3 miles and try to improve my pace?  Or should i just continue at the pace I'm at and try to go a greater distance.....  Right now, sad to say, my mile is at 15 minutes.  It's funny... sometimes  when I take a very brisk walk  my mile is at 12 minutes.  I just don't want to run out of breath and get winded....

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Susan

-Robert Hunter

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/19/10 1:07 pm - Fort Worth, TX
That's awesome!!! Congrats... A word of caution when running on a short track... If you run the same direction on the track every lap (Especially on a short track, you are putting a lot of pressure on your inside leg, seeing as you are making turns veryy frequently... This could lead to potential injury and muscle strength embalance. IMHO, but none-the-less, you rock!!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active