Is a 1/4 Marathon on April 3rd possible??

Katie H.
on 1/19/10 9:37 am - Charlton, MA
So I still consider myself a relative newbie to running so I’m curious about what those of you who have been running longer think about my being able to complete a 1/4 Marathon/6.55 mile race on April 3rd. I wanted to be able to run a 10K in the spring anyways, but I found a race that’s sooner and I’m anxious and excited to see if I can do it.    I can run 3 miles non-stop outside right now. Okay, I’ve only done it twice, but it wasn’t that bad and the second time I actually did 3.4miles because I was feeling really good. This morning on the treadmill I was able to do just over 2 miles at a 5.8 pace before I started my cool down. I lift three days a week (usually Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday) and have decided that I want to run on the treadmill for at least a mile or two on those days. I’m just not sure what else to do on my other days. I like to run outside on Sundays and if I can get out of work early on Fridays I go then too.  I was doing a Nautilus circuit before I started with my trainer in the middle of December so I’m pretty strong (I think so anyways), and I’ve noticed that since I started the lifting routine that my trainer gave me my legs are so much stronger. I’m not getting tired as early when I’ve been running – which I am wicked excited about and I am FINALLY getting an ass! What should I be looking at for mileage (daily & weekly) to get ready for a 6.55 mile race that’s really only like 10 weeks away? Is that a feasible goal to achieve without doing too much, too fast and getting injured?  

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

Linn D.
on 1/19/10 11:39 am - Missoula, MT
Believe it or not, once you get past 3 miles it's pretty easy to get to 6.  If you can run 5, you can do the race.  It should only take you a few more weeks to be able to get to 5.  At this point, I think it's more mental than physical.  Try making one run a little longer each week.  For example, try running 4 miles next weekend one day.  Then maybe do it again the next week so you and your body remember what it feels like.  Then try to increase it again the next week to 4.5 or 5 miles.  Small increments work the best.  When marathoners increase their mileage, they only do it by about 10% a week to keep from getting injured.

Go for it!

Linn 
Scott William
on 1/19/10 12:14 pm
I agree with Lynn.  0-3 is the hard part.  If you really had to, you could do the 10K now.  I wouldn't recommend it though.  If you gradually increase your milage consentrating on a weekly long run, you have plenty of time.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Scott William
on 1/19/10 12:26 pm
BTW, is that the Greater Hartford.  I ran that one two years ago. It's a good race.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Katie H.
on 1/19/10 6:50 pm - Charlton, MA
Scott & Linn - thanks so much!

It ISthe Greater Hartford. I'm probably going to sign up this week. 

So increasing my long run days is the way to go?  That's what I was going to do, but I wasn't sure if that was going to be enough.

Everyone on here always has informative and helpful advice, I really appreciate it!!  Seriously, it was the chat last Friday on the Post OP PR board that inspired & motivated me to sign up for my Half Marathon in September and why I want to do this 1/4  Marathon in April.

At my year and a half appointment with my Surgeon & Nutritionist in April they told me to let them know when I started to train for bigger races and half marathons because they'd help me with my nutrition and such.  I laughed out loud at them and said "those people are weird, who runs that much? I like working out and all I'm not crazy enough to run a race like that." Guess the joke's on me!!

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

superconducting
on 1/19/10 8:23 pm - Montgomery, NY
 Hi Katie, I probably have not been running longer than you, however, I am planning to run the half marathon on April 3rd (13.1 in NYC for World Vision).  I am running about 4 miles now, and using Hal Hidgon's plan (you can google), which ramps you up there in just about the right amount of time.

Seems aggressive, but then so is losing 100+ pounds in 7 months.

Rob S.
on 1/19/10 9:02 pm - DE
Your actually almost there.  I would work up to 5 miles over the next three weeks.  Then try and get in a six mile (even if you have to walk a little bit) about two weeks prior to the race.  If you can get those fives in, your emotions will help you the rest of the way.  Good job on your training!
Rob
mcarthur01
on 1/19/10 10:48 pm - Cumming, GA
you have a good plan and can definitly do it.  for me, i cross train on the non-running and non-rest days which ends up being 2 or 3 times a week.  cross-training includes biking, stairmaster (secret weapon for building legs and stamina), swimming, and occasionally the eliptical.  best of luck, i know you can do this thing.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Katie H.
on 1/20/10 6:08 am - Charlton, MA
Thanks guys!

I'm definately going to keep going with the cross training - it's great to see it actually making a difference in my runs and it makes me want to push forward and continue to train. 

I'm so glad you guys are on here to tell me I can do this.  I think I just needed that nudge from people who've been in the same situation to tell me that it's not impossible!  I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that I'm not 467lbs anymore (in fact when I weighed in today I was 196!!) and that I'm built more like an athlete now instead of a house.

I'll keep you guys posted with my training and such, thanks again!!!!

Most Active