adjusting nutrition

superconducting
on 1/15/10 8:24 pm - Montgomery, NY
Hi All,

I am so glad I fond this forum.  So much good info here - I did't even realize it was here all along on OH.  

I am now making a transition from focusing on losing weight to focusing on training, but I am really intimidated by nutrition.  I have been low to no carb since my surgery and hovering around 1000 gross cals a day.  I had been lifting pretty heavily, but am now moving to endurance running.  Training for a 13.1 to start in April, I know its time to adjust, but I honestly am not sure how.  I  still need to lose abut 25-40 pounds, so I want to be careful, but I also want to make sure I am not crashing hard in endurance  training.

I was thinking of starting by adding in oatmeal for breakfast, and some more fruit to the diet (bananas during training).  I was also  thinking of maybe changing my protein powders - or adding in another brand (I currently us GNC Wheybolic Extreme, which is a low carb powder).

I guess I need to take my cals up so I have around 1200 net?  Did any of you go through this kind of nutritional adjustment, and how did it affect you?  I know I need to do it early as I don't think it would be a good idea to start adding carbs in close to the race... 

Any advice specific to my situation is really appreciated.  Many of your stories are so inspirational to me!  Thanks for sharing!

mcarthur01
on 1/15/10 8:50 pm - Cumming, GA
everybody's nutrition needs are different, however you will definitly need more carbs for training fuel.  my suggestion is to consult a sports nutritionist (NOT a regular one, one that specializes in sports, preferably one that has experience with bariatric patients), also i suggest you have your resting or basal metabolic rate (RMR/BMR) tested, this information is crucial to understand your base nutritional needs.  good luck with training!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Scott William
on 1/15/10 10:33 pm
I am the last person that you'd want nutritional advice from but I would like to welcome you to the board.  My extended family lives in Middletown and I grew up in Greenville.  Prehaps I'll see you at the Classic 10K this summer.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 1/16/10 5:36 am - Missoula, MT
Welcome Andrew.

Bill's idea was about the best you can do.  

That being said, I've never consulted with one.  Other folks on this forum have.  I do know that you will need to get close to doubling your caloric intake in order to train effectively.  You won't need to do it right away, but probably within the first few weeks of your training.  As a point of reference, I'm a 43 yo woman, 5'5" 162# and I eat around 1800 cals a day to maintain my weight.  I also have high intensity exercise 5-6 days/week.

It's also important to eat something high in carbs after an intense cardio workout (such as running) in order to replenish the glycogen stores you use while you run.  The general consensus among sports nutritionists is a 4:1 carb:protein ratio within 30-60 minutes after a workout.  I do this and it helped me within the first week I started doing it.

Some people eat before a run, and others don't.  But if you do, good carbs are the way to go.  You'll know if you need to by how you feel.  You WILL be hungrier, so be sure you plan your food so you aren't grazing all day and end up gaining weight.

Those are my first little tidbits for you about nutrition, not being that well versed in anything other than what I do. 

One other thing: get thee to a running store to get fitted for shoes.  They are trained in looking at people's gait and can identify an appropriate shoe.  The right shoe can help maintain good running form and go a long way to injury prevention.

Good luck!

Linn
Rob S.
on 1/16/10 10:28 am - DE
Oatmeal is a great breakfast food.  I've been eating for over 6 1/2 years with protein powder and flax seed and soymilk.  I wouldn't try to adjust your nutrition too much if you still want to lose weight, because running is going to fuel your appetite and make it tougher to lose weight.

For the half, and most events under three hours, you don't need to worry too much about nutrition on race day.  The main thing to concern yourself is hydration. 

Your body will tell you what works.  Just don't experiment of race day.  Have fun.
Rob
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/18/10 7:14 am - Fort Worth, TX
Everyone's advice has been great! Welcome to the forum, I hope you feel welcome and post here regularly! Also, in my signature line, click on the link to the support group and join. Great goals and you will do great!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active