Getting Dizzy / Passing out - Help!!

britboy
on 1/15/10 11:01 am - Ft Lauderdale, FL

Hey

I'm 6 months out now and 90lbs down.  I've been having an issue for the past month or so and I was wondering if anyone suffered from dizzy / fainting spells.  It normally happens when I'm kneeling or sitting and get up (not even quickly) I go dizzy for about 30 seconds.  

Today i had my 6 month lab work done (blood and needles hate me).  I nearly passed out in the doctors office and my BP dropped to 70/40. i felt nauseous and numb, couldn't open my eyes... It took an hour for me to feel human again and even then my BP was only at 90/50.

I'm seeing my WL surgeon in 2 weeks but was wondering if anyone else was suffering the same symptoms and if there's anything that I should be doing to stop these attacks.. 

Katie H.
on 1/15/10 11:18 am - Charlton, MA

That happened to me about 6 months out and it was because I was not getting enough fluids and I was dehydrated.  Are you getting enough liquids in? 

"Running has the power to change your life. It will make you fitter, healthier, even happier."   ~Selene Yeager, "Let's Get Started," May 2010 issue of Runner's World

MacMadame
on 1/15/10 1:57 pm - Northern, CA
It's fairly common, apparently. If you are on BP meds, it's probably time to come off them.

But it sounds like low blood pressure. When I was in my teens and weighed 100 pounds soaking wet, I had to be very careful when I got up. If I went from sitting to standing too fast, I'd get dizzy like that. And it wasn't necessarily *that* fast either. Just faster than my body liked.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

mcarthur01
on 1/15/10 8:46 pm - Cumming, GA
i get some head rush dizzy spells when i stand up too quickly, the surgeon tells me it's low blood pressure and the only thing i can do about it is "don't stand up too fast" :)  your situation sounds a bit different than mine however, my head rushes/dizzy spells only last a few seconds to a minute, i would definitly consult your WLS....
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

saxman007
on 1/15/10 10:42 pm - Port Huron, MI
t Suffering the same thing here.  My doctor said it is Osthostatic  hypotension (basically low blood pressure due to posture).  I'd be very proactive about this.  i passed out once going from sitting to standing and I thought I was being careful.  After i had my tummy tuck this problem REALLY bit me in the a$$.  I ended up spending 4 extra days due to this and a low blood count just kicking my butt.
I thought things had gotten better until i did the NYC marathon -- I started getting lightheaded/dizzy around mile 22 and just pushed to the end.  When I got to the end I went straight to the medical tent and my blood pressure was around 100-110/65-76 (don't remember the exact numbers but that's close).  They didn't let me leave until both sets of numbers were up about 15 pts each.
I felt the same thing coming and it's one of the primary reasons I pulled out of the Disney marathon.  The doctors may not have an answer for me, but I'm going to start going to some sport doctors to make sure that passing out is about all that can happen.
Good luck, it is a side effect of losing the weight and I've been told MOST people return to normal pretty quickly.  As someone else said, lots of fluids really will help this.
Here's the mayo clinic quick page on this:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997
britboy
on 1/16/10 8:39 am - Ft Lauderdale, FL

Thanks to everyone who's posted advice - I've taken it all on board and am pleased that this seems to be a problem that others have encountered - i'll just adjust my way of life until it settles down again.

Thanks again

Most Active