Weightlifting during half marathon training....

KittenLove
on 1/15/10 1:57 am - Around Knoxville, TN
I'm a HUGE fan of weightlifting and do full body workouts 3x week (I've tried doing areas on different days but I prefer full body days)...do you change up your weights during race preparation?

Also, are 3 45min-one hr weight sessions per week better than 2 1.5 hour weight sessions per week?

Be happy. 

Scott William
on 1/15/10 3:15 am
If you are happy with your weight lifting and have time for all of it, I wouldn't change anything.  I would probably pick the 2 sessions over the three is the two are more intense and have double the exercises.  If you are not that intense, I might go with the three.  That way you are getting the body working more days.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 1/15/10 4:29 am - Northern, CA
I do strength/metcon workouts 3x a week during the season.

I think it makes me a faster runner. I shaved more than 4 minutes off my 1 mile time trial time from Feb to Oct. so something I'm doing worked.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

bandhope
on 1/15/10 4:37 am - TX
I'm curious to see your replies on this one. I did a half on Dec. 13th and I stayed away from lifting weights during that time, because I was so nervous it would effect my running if It caused me to be super sore. I also, was so nervous about pulling something. I would think if you have a solid route of lifting you should continue or just lighten the weight a little, but I'm no expert.  I'm focusing on strength training now that I'm in off season mode. I will probably cut back when I start my full marathon training. I'm curious what other say about it too. Best wishes!!!
Most Active