When do you replace running shoes?

Duane1064
on 1/15/10 8:55 am - Bloomington, IN

I think the subject line says it all.  When do you replace running shoes?

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Linn D.
on 1/15/10 9:02 am - Missoula, MT
Duane,

I'm really terrible at keeping track of mileage.  I get new shoes when I start having any foot or knee pain since I have neither most of the time.  I'm heavier than most women who run, so mine need replaced sooner than a lighter person.

Then again, the general consensus is right around 300 miles. 

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/15/10 10:00 am - Fort Worth, TX
It's usually 400 miles or so for me....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Brian W.
on 1/15/10 10:47 am - Belmont, CA
My IT Band will tell me when I need to get new shoes.  But 250-300 miles is a good rule to use

Brian
~350
Scott William
on 1/15/10 1:50 pm
The stuff I have read is 500 miles for average weight people and 300 miles for heavier people.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 1/16/10 5:33 am
Right in there with the 300-500 mile range
Or look at the sides of your shoes when they are new.  There are no "wrinkle lines"  But when the shoes are starting to break down, you will see wrinkles in the rubber on the sides.  This is the rubber and support starting to break down and replacement should be considered.  Also any time you start to wear out the shoes unevenly they should be replaced.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Duane1064
on 1/16/10 8:55 am - Bloomington, IN
 Thanks for the answers you guys.  I figured it was around the 300 mile mark but wasn't sure.  When i started running in these shoes I weighed 280lbs. and now I'm down to 242lbs.  I thought I'd probably wear these out sooner than someone who isn't as heavy.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Most Active