What do you do in off season??

bandhope
on 1/14/10 6:48 am - TX
I ran my 1st half in Dec. and I plan on doing the full next year (Dec. 2010). I've been searching for some off season ideas or information and haven't found much. I read in Runner's World that you lose everything after a certain period if you don't continue to "train". I read today on a website that said off season was important and you should just slow it down and mixed it up so you don't get burn out or suffer injury. It said you should never continue to train like you would for a marathon all the time (year around) because it is too hard on your body. I'm confused! |I've been running about 10-15 miles a week. I'm focusing on my weight training and have also mixed it up in the gym. Should I increase my mileage or continue what I am doing until marathon training starts?

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/14/10 10:00 am - Fort Worth, TX
The off season is when most athletes will make strength and muscle gains. As training and running season approaches, then it is time to cut weight, slim down, shred that muscle and rock it like Billy Jean! Keep on Keepin on!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

bandhope
on 1/14/10 10:10 am - TX
Okay, that is what I was thinking. Thanks as always for the great advice.  Love your 2 year blog!! I tried to comment on it, but it wouldn't let me. Just wanted to say- You are so awesome! Thank you for lighting the fire under me. You inspired me to move forward with my goals and NEVER made this VERY girlie, non-athlete type of girl believe that I couldn't do this for a second. Thank you! You are awesome! Happy wonderful 2 yrs mark to you!!!
bandhope
on 1/14/10 10:11 am - TX
Cassie W.
on 1/14/10 10:06 am
This winter I'm focusing on developing my swimming skills and strength training due to injury, but typically my off-season includes 3 days of running (a 3 miler, 6 miler and a long run of 8 to 12 miles), 2-3 days of spinning and 1-2 days of swimming.  Once a week, I would focus on speed work on the treadmill.

Off season is a good time to focus on form and build a solid base of mileage.  Here's a link for a 19-week program that's designed to build your base before you start the marathon training.  It even describes how to put yourself in a holding pattern until your actual marathon training starts since you're looking at a December marathon. www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

bandhope
on 1/14/10 10:13 am - TX
Awesome!!! I'm so glad I asked. Great advice!! Best wishes to you and I hope you have a quick recovery!
Most Active