I want a Trek!

corndog05
on 1/13/10 6:10 pm - GA
My husband is going to buy me a Trek bike when I hit my goal. 

For the type of riding I'll be doing, I was thinking about a cross- trainer.  I will definitely be riding to work, neighborhoods and maybe wanting to branch out into some distance rides later? 

Any of you bike aficionados have any suggestions based on my interests?

Preop Diet/Surgery/Current/Goal
     283   /   252   /    184  /  125
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/13/10 9:22 pm, edited 1/13/10 9:26 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Not sure what type of Trek is a "Cross Trainer" or wh specifically you want a Trek... hehe that was a poke at Chad if he happens to read this! I would say get a solid road bike. When you talk about a cruiser that weighs 25+ pounds to parouse the neighborhood and then talk about some longer distance rides, a 25+ pound bike is not going to be your friend. Go to a local Bike Shop (LBS) get fitted, talk about your goals, and the will get you hooked up. Best of luck with everything and, I think the other Dan might agree with me...GO FELT!!!!!

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

corndog05
on 1/13/10 10:20 pm - GA
I was looking at the Treks this morning and came across the Trek FX series.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/#fx

I was thinking about working up slowly to a more serious piece of machinery.  I'm am by no means ready for a century ride.   I just had surgery 4 days ago.  I'm hoping to find a good serious beginner bike to get my feet wet with.

What does "go felt" mean?

Preop Diet/Surgery/Current/Goal
     283   /   252   /    184  /  125
Seht
on 1/14/10 12:06 am
As far as manufacturer goes, you aren't going to go wrong with
Trek, Specialized, Giant, Felt, Cervelo, Look, Cannondale.
I have several bike stores in my hometown and all of those bikes are represented in one store or another.  I couldn't get any of them to say anything bad about the other guys bikes.  Actually most of them said just what I said above.  They are all top notch manufacturers, the bikes at the middle to upper end are all quality machines and you aren't going to be buying junk at that price point.  It's all about what feels best to you, and allows you to do the kind of riding you want to do.

Get what you are going to ride!  Bikes are not cheap and if you do go cheap you will be regretting that decision.  My local Trek store will let you take a bike out for several hours and ride them.  They have a selection of bikes for that purpose.

Just a ride around the block isn't going to give you a good idea of what life is going to be like on that bike.  Take it on smoothe roads, bumpy roads, up and down a hill.  Make sure the bike handles well and you are comfortable on it.

You may not be ready for a century ride today, but I think you will be surprised how soon you will be.  Especially if you start riding socially with others.  It's almost not like exercise at all ****il you get to the big hill)  You will find that you are just pedaling along with friends and you will be enjoying yourself.  All of a sudden you have chewed up the mileage.

A few other things to keep in the back of your mind before you buy your bike.

It's not just the bike purchase you do have other incidentals that you might not be thinking of an they can effect the way the bike ride goes for you.

Seats, often the seats that come with the bikes are not the most comfortable or fit your body shape or the way you sit.  You can always replace the seat, or get a gel cover for it, but that will change as your body does and as you get miles on the seat.

What the bike is made of, is the whole bike aluminum, is it aluminum with carbon fiber forks (the carbon fiber tends to absorb road noise and vibration better).  Is the whole bike carbon fiber, expect to pay more for that.  You can also get bikes made of titanium, give you the lighter weight but more strength.

Your wheels can play a big part in your ride.  The skinny wheels on road bikes will produce less drag and generally increase your speed over the wider multi-purpose wheels. 

Cycling pants.  These have a chamois built into them, they do wonders for cushioning the ride.  They also help to reduce the friction and rubbing you feel when cycling.

Helmet, save the brain (nuff said)

Gloves for when you fall or to keep a little chill off the hands

Emergency kit,  couple tire levers, spare tire, pump or co2 inflator, patches.

Water bottles and cages or other means to stay hydrated

Lights front and back if you are riding at or near dark.

If you get serious a bike computer to log your miles and speed.  (bike computer sounds expensive but they can be had cheaply or you can spend hundreds)

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/14/10 12:56 am - Fort Worth, TX
FELT is a bike manufacturer, I ride a FELT :)
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Katari
on 1/14/10 3:40 am - OR
I looked at the FX series with Trek, but decided that since I "eventually" wanted to work up to distance rides I'd rather spend the money once and get a street bike. I'm now looking at the Trek 2.1 WSD. Entry level price, and upgradable parts if I get serious into racing. I like the bike shop in the next town over, the owner has been a long LONG time cyling enthusiast, will work with getting me the right bike, making sure it "fits" me (I'm pretty short at 5'2), etc. I've actually seen more Trek's around here than the other brands mentioned, but I'll have to see if there is someone (relatively) local that does carry them to see if I'd like those better. Good Luck, You have a wonderful hubby! LOL. Currently I have a bike i'm riding to get into the habit. (think cheap cheap cheap bike, not to mention it's a MTN bike. But since I'm planning on doing some riding in the mountains later this spring, I guess it's all good! lol) I can't wait to get me a good road bike though!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

Seht
on 1/14/10 4:05 am
My local Tri store carries both FELT and Cervelo
He likes the FELT at the pricepoint they come in at, but if money isn't an issue in the purchase he prefers the Cervelo and that is what he rides.

You will see everyone of the bikes mentioned competing in the Tour de France, Roubaix, Giro de Italia, etc.  Yeah the pro riders ride what is given to them by their teams, and ultimately it is the engine powering the bike that makes the difference.

This years winner of the TDF was riding a TREK
The second place winner was on a Specialized
Lance Armstrong won all of his on a TREK he also finished 3rd this year
The rider with the most stage wins was riding SCOTT

So you can see that the bikes are varied as are the riders.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 1/16/10 7:07 am - Dacula, GA
bike fit is more important than brand. i had back troubles w my giant. i got an orbea and love love love it! my bike store has a 30 day return policy!
Most Active