Spinning and the sore rear

Karen D.
on 1/13/10 2:54 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15

I have just taken my 2nd spinning class.  My rear is soooooo sore!!  My first class was Monday, today I took another and the minute my butt hit the seat I was in agony.  I had to "suffer" for an hour!  A lapband friend said you gotta keep at it and the soreness will go away.

Is that true?  I am thinking of getting a gel seat cover to help.  I can't stand up and pedal the whole class but that feels much better!

Any advice?

Thanks

bwburgin1015
on 1/13/10 3:20 am - NC
I made it through one class one time and was so sore from the seat I didn't go back!!!  I looked into the gel seat but never bought one.
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/13/10 4:20 am - Fort Worth, TX
Get a gel seat if needs be, but by all means get you some cycling shorts! Best of luck, they call that "Saddle Sore" and it gets better with time....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 1/13/10 6:57 am
Good cycling pants with a chamois is the way to go.  The removable gel seat cover is also a help.  You will build up and get used to it. 

Just gotta get the seat time in to get used to it.

Don't give up.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

runningagain
on 1/13/10 11:08 am - NY

Hi,

It does get better.  After taking my first class, my "sits bones" were so sore that I didn't go back for about 7 months.  When I did go back I bought a gel seat and now I can't imagine taking a class without it.  My "sits bones" don't hurt anymore.  I got mine at WalMart for about $10.

I couldn't stand up at all when I first took the class.  Now, I have no problem.  You'll get there...it's a process.  I think the gel seat is a Godsend.

Take Care,

Tammy :-)

Linn D.
on 1/13/10 11:46 am - Missoula, MT
I spin at least 2 days a week, usually 3.  I agree, either gel seat or bike shorts.

It's such a great workout that I'd hate to see you give up on it because of being saddle sore.  It totally gets better with time.

Linn 
Linn D.
on 1/14/10 4:41 am - Missoula, MT
I just had another thought.

Did your instructor set you up on the bike?  Proper positioning can also be a big help.

Linn 
Karen D.
on 1/14/10 8:28 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
Thanks everyone!  I'm going to stick it out.  My goal is to get conditioned enough so I can ride with my husband.  He's not a long distance rider but likes to take rides at night after dinner.  I can never keep up.

Linn, actually yes, she was very helpful to make sure I got the bike positioned right.  I will get the seat cover and keep at it.  I guess those bones/muscles have to get toughened up somehow!

Thanks again everyone.
melodia02
on 1/16/10 5:52 am
i love spinning and at first it hurt but i got a gel seat and now m addicted keep at it
B.
Karen D.
on 1/16/10 9:30 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
I ended up buying a memory foam seat cover today.  It seemed like it had more cushion than the gel seat.  Anyone use one of these and do they help?  I'm looking forward to going back on Monday....I've never actually been excited about exercising in my life!
Most Active