Why is this happening?

Jamielove21
on 1/13/10 12:26 am - Carmel, IN
So i've started working out with a personal trainer.  I enjoy it, but at about half way through our session, I start to feel a little dizzy and like I'm going to throw up. I tried eating some "good carbs" before I went and made sure I was hydrated.  We were only doing weights and stuff.  I did a bunch of arms and then was doing legs. When I got to the squats, thats when it happened.  So I went to the bathroom, but didn't get sick.  So I came back and finished the workout, but I still felt really weird.  The session is only a half hour long, so its not like its too long.  I warm up for 5-10 minutes before hand by either walking on the treadmill or doing the eliptical.  Any thoughts on whats going on? 

~Jamie 

SW/CW/GW
281/178
/135ish

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/13/10 2:28 am - Fort Worth, TX

How are your Iron levels? Are you taking all of your vitamins and supplements? How's your protein intake? Do you ever take in Sports Drinks? Perhaps an electrolyte embalance? Answer the above and then I will offer my opinion....

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Jamielove21
on 1/13/10 3:47 am - Carmel, IN
as far as I know my iron levels are fine. I take all my vitamins, everday.  My protein intake is usually between 65-75 grams. I do not drink sports drinks. They no longer taste good to me. :0

~Jamie 

SW/CW/GW
281/178
/135ish

Scott William
on 1/13/10 3:34 am
I don't have the perfect answer but I can tell you that there at 4+ years out there are still exercises that make me dizzy.  Any time, I lie down, I have to get up slowly.  Any time I do an exercise on my stomach I have to hold on to stuff when I get up because I am dizzy.

You are still pretty close to surgery and the squat explaination makes sense.  That is an exercise that takes a lot of umph and puts pressure on your neck and head.  Even leg press puts pressure on your head.  It couldn't hurt to pass it by your surgeon but till then, just be careful and don't over do it too much.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
bwburgin1015
on 1/13/10 5:42 am - NC
You could also be having what is called a "vaso-vagal" response....Your vagal nerve is tied to your heart rate.  When stimulated, often by straining, it can cause your heart rate to slow down and make you feel dizzy and faint.  This is why you sometimes feel dizzy when you are straining during a bowel movement...TMI I know.  Its very easy to have this response when doing leg work.  Next time it happens check your heart rate.  If thats it you will just want to mention it to your doctor next time you see them in case they want to run more tests.
runningagain
on 1/13/10 11:18 am - NY

My doc told me that if I felt dizzy while working out, to drink protein.  I haven't had that problem.  Couldn't hurt to bring something with you and try it.  Good luck. 

Tammy :-)

MacMadame
on 1/13/10 4:12 pm - Northern, CA
It could also be your blood pressure dropping.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active