Will treadmill training work to prep me for my half?

KittenLove
on 1/11/10 5:47 am - Around Knoxville, TN
I don't have access to trails, sidewalks, etc. that give me the distance to follow my training program for my half marathon...will the treadmill suffice or will i be totally unprepared?

Be happy. 

mcarthur01
on 1/11/10 5:59 am - Cumming, GA
i did most of my training for my half marathon on the treadmill, it is definitiely do-able.  you should try to get out for a couple of runs on the road prior to your race as there really is a difference, but fitness-wise, the TM is fine.  Some recomend adding some incline to replicate road running, i typically set mine for a half % or 1 % due to some nagging knee issues.  it boils down to what is comfortable for you.  good luck!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Scott William
on 1/11/10 6:15 am
I have not noticed any difference in the mill and road running as far as fitness.  The TM helps me with speed and consistancy.  When I run on the road I sometimes lose focus and slow down.  With a treadmill, you can't do that.  The treadmill also lessens the pounding on your legs.  I would never trade the TM for actually getting out into the world, but it will certainly give you what you need it too.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Seht
on 1/11/10 6:55 am
You certainly can, but I see a couple differences.  I also recommend that you at least try to get a run outside a couple times just so you can feel it.  The ground is much harder than the treadmill, which cushions your step.  Also concrete is harder than asphalt, so do you know what type of surface you are going to be running on.  You might want to prepare yourself for that.

Difference I see on the treadmill.  Your mileage may vary from mine.

Certainly add some elevation to the treadmill.  Here is a chart that can help you with that.
http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_running/run_treadmill_chart.as p
Change your elevation during your runs to simulate having to run up and down hills.  At least for me that makes a big difference. 

The treadmill keeps me from taking a full stride or a stride that is comfortable when I run outside, so I have to have a faster turnover and smaller stride on the treadmill.  I can run a speed outside that is faster than I can on the treadmill because of this.  So 6-7 mph outside feels like 7-8 mph inside it is a higher cadence rate for me on the treadmill.

Then there is the mental part for me.  On the treadmill it is almost always a mind over matter issue more than it is a physical issue.  When on the treadmill it is almost always a case of am I done yet, vs. I'm tired and it's time to stop which is the case for running outside.

Good luck and keep us updated on your training and your 1/2 marathon when you complete it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

beckipoohbear
on 1/11/10 7:01 am - AZ
Also...you don't need trails or sidewalks, just hit the regular road, making sure you run against traffic (so oncoming traffic is coming towards you).  The asphalt is better for running than the concrete of sidewalks anyway.  I always run in the street and live in a rural area so I just headed up the highway once it was time for my longer runs.  A little nerve-wracking but I tried to go when the roads weren't very busy.  I can't imagine cooping myself inside on a treadmill for the amount of time it takes me to run long distances, need to be outside feeling the wind! 
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Linn D.
on 1/11/10 11:49 am - Missoula, MT
As long as you put in the distances, you will be just fine.  Lots of people hate them, but I use it for all my training.  I've also done full marathon training on the TM.

Follow your training plan, and have a great race!

Linn
Most Active