Tale of Two Races

saxman007
on 1/11/10 8:05 am - Port Huron, MI
 Hey all,
Just got back from the Disney Marathon weekend.  My goal was to complete the Goofy Challenge and I was a little worried since my knee has been bothering me considerably.  
As I posted a little bit ago I got engaged just 3 weeks ago and it's been an incredible relationship and it was so great to have her down there experiencing this with me.  Friday was our 1 day in the park -- being a high school band director I get to the parks every 3-4 years with my band and she used to work in the parks so it wasn't crucial for us to spend time in the parks.  We thought we'd do the Magic Kingdom and spend the next several days lounging by the pool and doing some hotel hopping.  Well, Friday it was a high of 53 and it rained so we only spent a couple of hours in the park before we left to check out the new Bay Lake Hotel over by the contemporary and head to dinner @ Downtown Disney. 
Saturday morning I wake up at 3 am get ready and head on out to get the bus for EPCOT.  My thought was to start with the 2:30 group and if I was feeling good I'd speed it up for the second half.  I was nervous about my knee so I wasn't positive.  Well, I got to my corral and realized I had probably estimated a 4:30 marathon time so I realized I wasn't going to be with any pace groups.  Oh well, lots of people on the course and I've got my Garmin -- know the pace and go with it.  Great plan, but I felt GREAT!!!  When I say great, I mean GREAT -- my knee was fine, I was feeling strong and well rested.  I decided to start negative splitting my times.  Overall time was 2:17:21.  Felt great -- had a 2:15 or possibly sub 2:15 going into the last 2 miles but the 2 overpasses towards EPCOT took their toll on me and with the marathon the next day I decided to just let up and book a strong run in the book.
Oh yeah -- if you didn't hear the Half Marathon started in about 30* weather with snow, then sleet mixing in.  Used to it for training, but not for racing, especially in FL :(
Sunday my fiancee woke up with me and joined me at the start.  I struggled Saturday after the race with my knee so I was really worried going into the start of the race.  The race started in balmy 24* weather and it just wasn't meant to be for me.  At mile 6 I realized the odds of me completing this race was slim.  I had maintained 11:18/miles (roughly 5 hour pace) and was starting to fade fast).  My fiancee was planning on seeing me either around mile 9 or 10 and again at mile 12.4 (after the Magic Kingdom).  Well by the time I got to mile 8 I was at a 12:10/mile average and was doing equal amounts walking/running.  I was so glad to see my fiancee at mile 9 but was also nervous to tell her I was pulling out.  I was drained, empty and doubted my ability to finish the race.  I've never DNF'd and never thought I would.  It has been a huge disappointment for me.  To see people all over the hotel and restaurants with their marathon medals was rough -- to see the people with the Goofy medals it just hurts.  I know I made the right decision, it was the only one I could have made.  I doubt I could've made the 7 hour cut-off and who knows what shape I would've been in.  
After the NYC marathon this year they took my blood pressure in the medical tent and it was somewhere  around 100-110/65-70.  Sounds fine until you think that it was immediately AFTER running a marathon.  Yesterday I was again experiencing vision and balance problems.  I tripped on a bench and almost bit it big time.  That's when it was confirmed that not only did I make a good decision by stopping, but the only decision that was available.  
For those of you that have completed the Goofy -- I'm very proud of you guys and gals.  
I look forward to FINALLY being done with my race schedule.  Over the last 8 months I have completed:
6 sprint triathlons, 1 olympic, 2 HIM, 2 full marathons, 1 half -- and attempted 1 more full.  
I look forward to a lighter, more focused season next year that includes my first Ironman in June and my most important event of my life, my wedding in August.
Looking forward to starting my ironman training this week!
--Dan

Scott William
on 1/11/10 10:14 am
Dan,
I am terribly sorry that you didn't accomplish your goal by finishing the Goofy.  There will be another time if you decide that it's something you have to do.  I have  found that not accomplishing a goal is a bigger motivator for the next time.  

Still, I loved the report and am incredibly jealous that you were there.  I didn't miss the running but the atmosphere and the electricity before the race.  Dan - if you want to complete the Goofy, it will always be there.  It will be $300-$400 but still, it will be there.  Sorry you left with a bad taste but you had a good reason.  It's not like you just didn't want it, you had a legitimate medical issue.  No vision and balance is pretty tough.  Take care
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/11/10 10:14 am - Fort Worth, TX

Dan...

Heck of an effort bro! You never know how the day is going to turn out until you hit the start line. Way to show up and get a nice half and another good effort on the marathon the very next day. Miss hearing from you on here everyday... Don't be a stranger. And, before training starts for Ironman, I would recommend visiting with your chiro, DR, and or ortho to see what's going on. Rest that knee bro, get healthy and then dive into your training. Again, great to hear from you and wish you all the best in the preperations for another tale of two races... Ironman and marriage, both are about endurance and giving your best, not just on race day, but EVERYDAY!!! Take care buddy!

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 1/11/10 10:51 am
Dan,

You had quite an ambitious race season this year with many accomplishments under your belt.  It's never easy to pull out of a race, but you made the right decision so you can recover and prepare for your first Ironman.

Take care of that knee.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

beckipoohbear
on 1/11/10 11:53 am - AZ
 That sucks but sounds like you did the right thing for yourself and your health.  My mom completed the Goofy this weekend and she said the weather was just miserable, particularly on the 1/2 day and so kudos to you for making it that far.  Good luck on your race schedule this year, I think you are amazing for even contemplating the Goofy!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Linn D.
on 1/11/10 12:38 pm - Missoula, MT
Sorry to hear about your difficulties, Dan.  You've got a lot going on, and really, nothing but time.  It'll still be there in the next few years, but IMCDA is a big deal as well, AND you're getting married!  All in due time, my friend.  You only have one body, and I'm glad you took care of it this weekend.

Recover well, and here's to the next goal!

Linn 
Seht
on 1/11/10 2:21 pm
Wow Dan, I'm sorry you had a rough second day, but I absolutely applaud you and what you have accomplished this year.

Congratulations on the upcoming marriage and  I hope you have a fantastic year ahead of you.

Best wishes

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Katari
on 1/11/10 8:36 pm - OR
Thanks for your race reports. I'm sorry you had to pull out of the Goofy. You did the right thing, your health is more important. You had a great year and accomplished A LOT! Get in to your Dr. and find out what's going on. Take care and Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

puddin2day
on 1/12/10 2:25 am - Los Angeles, CA
Dan,

You did the right thing by pulling out of the Goofy.  You have to take care of yourself. 
Congratulations on all of your accomplishments and your upcoming wedding. 

The Goofy is a possible goal that I would like to accomplish one day.  First, I have to see how I feel after L.A.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Hawgman
on 1/13/10 2:16 am - TX
Know this, Dan!

We are extremely proud of you and your efforts, as you should be.
Great effort. 

Good luck on your tri's and impending nuptials.

Darrell in Teague
Most Active