Marathon advice needed

Zim
on 1/13/10 6:20 am - Choctaw, OK
Thanks a bunch!  I know hydration is important during the race but hadn't given thought to needing much before... how much should I be looking at consuming the day before?
Zim

Linn D.
on 1/11/10 12:15 pm - Missoula, MT
Nutrition for athletes is VERY different from the general RNY diet that most people use.  You can't be afraid to eat carbohydrates or use then for fuel, because your body truly needs it.  I only use gels for longer training and during the marathon itself, but I do use them when necessary.

It's also very important to do recovery eating after your workouts.  A 4:1 carb:protein ratio eaten within 30-60 minutes after the workout has been shown to provide the best glycogen restoration so that tomorrow and the next day you have enough energy stored to do your runs/workouts.  It has helped me tremendously.

Good luck with your training, and don't forget to experiment with some added fuel for the long runs.  During races, I'll generally us a gel at mile 6, 12, and then about every 3 miles after that to keep the energy up.

Linn
Zim
on 1/13/10 6:21 am - Choctaw, OK
Thanks! 
Zim

Hawgman
on 1/13/10 5:25 am - TX
First of all congratulations on your goal of running a marathon.  That is awesome!!

I ran my first marathon in December in Dallas and it was quite a learning experience for me.
Dan can tell you, I was melted down at the end.  My ignorance played a big part in that.

I did not take care of hydration issues the day before the marathon or the morning before and then I did not properly hydrate during the race.  I used GU gels and then drank regulary Gatorade instead of G2.  Bad idea!!

Find what works for you and follow your plan in the days before the race and during the race itself.

Good luck!!
Zim
on 1/13/10 6:23 am - Choctaw, OK
Thanks.. I'll have to remember the G2. 
Zim

Most Active