Compression Socks

jet03
on 1/9/10 10:42 pm - Canada
I mentioned earlier this week that I have been having issues again with edema in my legs. My Dr. suggested compression socks. I am wondering if all compression socks are ceated equal? I have no clue on what to look for in compression socks.

I have been reading that athletes are now using them, so I thought I would check here for advice, Thanks everyone.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wxRQRwT/weight.png">>

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/10/10 4:45 am - Fort Worth, TX
I wear 2XU compression socks and swear by them!!!!!! Here's me sporting them at Ironman:

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

jet03
on 1/10/10 5:55 am - Canada
Do I need to do an ironman to wear them? Cause if I do, I better find another brand! LOL!!

Thanks for the info.

Jet
Brian W.
on 1/10/10 8:17 am - Belmont, CA
I suffer from lymphedema in my lower legs (little bit different from regular edema, but essentially its swelling), so I run with compression sleeves/socks as well.  It really does help keep the swelling down.

I was using a pair of Zansah sleeves, but since my lower legs are so huge (really they are BIG), they werent quite big enough for me.  I picked up a pair of CWX compression socks at the local running store.  These are full socks, so it goes over the entire foot too and all the way up to the knee.  Got the biggest size and they fit well, no noticeable swelling either.

Brian
~350
Seht
on 1/11/10 7:05 am
They are not all created equal.
You will find that the ones from a medical supply or store will generally have a rating on them that tells you how much compression they sock provides.  I think the measurement is in milimeters of mercury.

I'm not sure if the ones from the athletic stores have that rating on them.

You should talk with your doctor about what level of compression he wants you to have.
You shouldn't use more than is necessary.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active