Just devastated

Darrell H.
on 1/9/10 11:17 pm - Sinton, TX
I have been in pretty severe abdominal pain since Tuesday afternoon. I still ran Wednesday and actually while I was running the pain went away. It returned the second I started walking, but it was bearable. Well when the pain became excrutiating, I went to the dr. That was on Thursday morning. I also called my surgeon as he had told me in the past that if I had these same symptoms to let him know that it could be serious. Well I was sent to get a CT scan of the abdomen, and my PCP said that he didn't see an obvious blockage so he assumed it was an intestinal infection since there was quite a bit of swelling that had showed up on the scan. Well later that evening my surgeon's office called saying that he needed to see me Saturday afternoon. This had me curious but I was thinking he just wanted to check up on some things. Well when I went in he gave me the regular high five and how awesome he thinks I am doing and that I have done so well with no complications, until now. He said that the scan shows to him that there is a probably kink. He said that men do not accumulate fluid in that area and I was. He also said that I needed to have surgery to fix this right away, no later than this coming Wednesday. I said hold on, I am running the Houston Marathon on the 17th and would I be cleared to run if I had the surgery on Wednesday. He said no. He knows how hard I have worked and he has been one of my biggest cheerleaders. I then asked if I could pospone the surgery to the following Wednesday. He said that if I could promise him that I was in absolutely no pain now or ever for the rest of the week, then I could run. Well my wife went with me and she right away came out and told the dr that I couldnt do that because I was in pain right then. I gave her a dirty look, but she was right. I asked the doctor how serious this could be if not treated and he said it could be fatal.

Now no race is worth my life, but this has just killed me inside. I have never worked harder for something in my life. I need this race, I have put all my eggs in this basket so to speak as my goal for success. I know there have been other successes. I have completed 3 triathlons a 5K race, and two half marathons. My brother even said dont worry about it, you ran your marathon in running 2 halfs. I said haha but it dont work like that. I keep staring at my confirmation packet for the rce and find myself staring at the course map and plan that I have written up for nutrion and hydration. i am just stunned by this. On top of this, i was asked to write a biographical article for Health and Fitness Sports Magazine which is to be published in their February issue. In that article I wrote that by the time it is published I will have completed my 1st marathon.

As I told my surgeon, I love the way I feel and the way I look, but I had the surgery or my health. I am not going to jeopardize this. I have 2 daughters who I owe that to, but that doesnt make the fact of the situation any more bearable. Please keep me and my prayers and take care.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
jet03
on 1/10/10 12:47 am - Canada

That is really unfortunate Darrell. That's a tough pill to swallow, but your health, your life, comes first. I'm sure you will run that marathon succesfully post-surgery.

Good luck with your surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Jet

mcarthur01
on 1/10/10 3:44 am - Cumming, GA
there will be plenty of other races, you only have one body.  it really sucks, but take care of yourself and keep up the training for the next one...  good luck getting through this unfortunate incident
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/10/10 4:55 am - Fort Worth, TX
Darrell,

It is  just a race at the end of the day, and as Bill said, there's always another... You will not lose your fitness, and it isn't like having a surgery ruined your running carreer, it just put a few things on hold temporarily. I know all this is easy to say and harder to live, but it really is nowhere near as important as your health, and ou know that. Get it done, recover well, and get back at it when your doctor gives you the green light, AND DONT PU**** AND DO ANYTHING BEFORE HE CLEARS YOU!!!! As for the magazine, when they learn that you overcame another obstacle to reach your goal , I would think that would make your story more note-worthy. Much love bro, I will keep you in thoughts and prayers..
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Darrell H.
on 1/10/10 5:21 am - Sinton, TX
Yeah i know. I have also started looking for a February marathon. I am considering Cowtown in Fort Worth and Mardi Gras in New Orleans. They are the weekend of the 27th, 28th. Fort Worth is about 2 hours closer, but has hills and is run on a Saturday. New Orleans is that Sunday and flat, which is what I have been training for. We will see, but I WILL run a marathon this year.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/10/10 6:46 am - Fort Worth, TX
I am running the cowtown ULTRA, and ran the marathon there last year... Good, tough race, that might be too early out from your surgery, let your body heal dude!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 1/10/10 5:30 am
Darrell,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Like you, I'm looking at my Houston confirmation packet longing to be at the start.  But, I know there will be other races in the future.  The disappointment does fade as you beginning preparing for your next goal.

When I missed my first marathon due to injury in 2008, my initial feeling was "Dam!!  All those miles and months of training, all for naught."  Then, I remembered that it was the journey, not the race that made me stronger.

You are stronger because of your training, mentally and physically.  You've tested your resolve to train when you didn't feel like it.  You've pushed your body when it was sluggish.  You've silenced the doubt in your mind.  When you've healed from this surgery, you will return to your training to reclaim that medal another day.

Take care of yourself!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 1/10/10 5:43 am - Missoula, MT
Darrell,

I'll sure be keeping you in my thoughts.

I would like to say, however, that it's easy to have this something that we DO define who we ARE.  As you know, that's just not the case.  We're in this for the long haul.  Lots of years left.  Remember that I'm nearly 6 years post op and have had several kinks in my training, but here I am, still going at it.  You'll be doing the same.  So you won't be able to do this right NOW.  You WILL be able when you heal.  You are Darrell, a wonderful person, who also happens to be an athlete.  Define yourself by moving forward when you're able rather than being upset by the obstacle.

Take care of yourself,

Linn 
Seht
on 1/10/10 7:31 am
Hang in there Darrell and get yourself healthy.  That's #1 priority.  Like everyone else has said, there will be other races.  Don't get discouraged or let this crush your spirit.  I know it's hard to put all the effort into something like this only to let an outside influence ruin it for you.

You will have other races, and you will succeed.  Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Rob S.
on 1/10/10 10:31 am - DE
Dan,
There will be plenty of races ahead, so don't get too disappointed.  Having lost my cousin to this surgery in Ohio, everyone needs to constantly be reminded that this is an extremely serious operation.  He was not able to get to the hospital in time to be saved.  You have a family that depends on you, so that you're priority.
Plenty of marathons in your future.  We'll even hold a seat in the front row  for you.  You;ll be joining us soon enough.  Be thinking of you, and wishing you well with your surgery.
Rob 
Most Active