Marathon Running

Nicolio19
on 1/6/10 10:13 am - Denver, CO
I was wondering if anyone had completed a marathon after RNY?  Is there any reason that I wouldn't be able to do this post surgery?  I am on iron supplements due to low iron, but other than that, I wasn't sure if there were any reasons that I couldn't starting training. 

Thanks!
"The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary."

304/148/130 
kerniec
on 1/6/10 11:37 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14
They'll chime in but we have post RNYers on this forum who have not only run marathons and beyond but completed an Iron Man.

Absolutely no reason why not barring any physical issues of your own.  Where are you in your training at this point?

Welcome..............

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Brian W.
on 1/6/10 1:19 pm - Belmont, CA
Nope no reason at all.

I've completed one marathon so far.  Other have done several marathons over the years and even more than that.

As long as you do proper training and nutrition, you can complete whatever distance you set your mind to

Good luck

Brian
~350
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/6/10 3:13 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Had RNY in 2008, between sept 2008 and now I have finished 5 Sprint Triathlons, 3 Marathons, 4 x 70.3 Ironman Triathlons, 140.6 Full Ironman, and a host of 5k & 10k runs. RNY does NOT restrict what you can do, quite the contrary...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Duane1064
on 1/6/10 7:33 pm - Bloomington, IN

The main thing is to train properly and at a pace that's right for you.  Not knowing your weight, age, health, and current fitness level it's hard to give specific advice.  I say to train hard but don't over do it.  A lot of people get hurt by trying to push too hard too soon.  Start slowly and build up.  Use this board for info. and inspiration.  There are a lot of really great people on here with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Cassie W.
on 1/6/10 7:34 pm
Get a good pair of shoes, pick a plan and start training.  RNY opens up a whole new world of personal fitness goals.  With your low iron, just make sure you continue to keep your labwork appointments.  My iron plummeted a bit as the intensity of my training increased.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Scott William
on 1/6/10 8:58 pm

There is no reason that you can't do it after surgery but that is not the complete answer.  It may or may not take some experimenting to find out what works for you with a post-op stomach.  You may have to avoid anything with sugar or there may even be particular bottled water that does not agree with you.  You may be fine in those areas but perhaps not.  I can't run a long race and depend on their water if it's poland spring.  Just something I have to factor in.  Here is my caution that I give everyone who aspires to run long distances:  Give it some time after your surgery to cement some good eating habbits.  When you start doing runs of an hour and more, you will need carbs and your appetite may increase. 

In 5 or 10 years when the appeal of the marathon has worn off, you will want good eating habbits to fall back on.  This surgery is about good eating habbits and moderate exercise.  You will want to do the marathon for the reasons that you choose, not because you have to. 

I would not run more than 6 miles in the first year.  After 4 marathons and a slew of half marathons, I can say that my appetite goes through the roof when I do runs of 8 miles or more and when you marathon train, you will be doing a lot.  I ran my first 1/2 marathon 7 months after my surgery.  I wish that I had waited a bit to cement those good eating habbits. 

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 1/6/10 9:34 pm - DE
Many of us on this board have completed marathons after RNY.  Unlike others on this board, I completed my first marathon five years after RNY.  I ended up running two last year.  I took a while to build up to the marathon, running 5ks, then 10k, then 10 milers and half-marathons.   The training for the marathon is extremely intense and time-consuming.  Also, when running the longer distances you may find that your appetite increases significantly, which can lead to weight gain.   Good luck to you.
Rob
Hawgman
on 1/6/10 10:27 pm - TX
Congratulations on the committment to good health and good exercise.

I ran my first marathon in December.  On the whole it was a great experience, but not one to be taken lightly.

Hydration and nutrition is the key!!

Good luck!
Linn D.
on 1/7/10 11:36 am - Missoula, MT
I've also done 2 marathons.  One with good training, one without.  Also 6 sprint tris, several 5 and 10ks, and 4 half marathons over the past 4 years.  Experiences I wouldn't have had without the RNY.  Plus, I was 38 when I started running and still did fine.

Linn
Most Active