My first 1/2 marathon!

Lauren M.
on 1/6/10 1:13 pm
Well I just signed up for the 1/2 marathon in May. I also signed up for a training group that will hopefully prepare me for the event. I am so nervous. I have never done anything like this before and I have a bad history of dropping out of things when they get too tough. I know that I can do this though and I am determined to see it though to the finish! Just wanted to know of anyone else is training for a spring marathon and where they will be running. I am training for the Fargo marathon in Fargo ND!

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Brian W.
on 1/6/10 1:24 pm - Belmont, CA
Congrats

I will be running the Los Angeles Marathon on March 21st

Brian
~350
Lauren M.
on 1/6/10 1:31 pm, edited 1/6/10 1:31 pm
Wow I guess they have to have it early there so that everyone doesn't keel over from the heat. I take running in the cold before the heat! Good luck! I am guessing from your picture that is will not be your first race. Any advice for a newbie?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Brian W.
on 1/6/10 1:47 pm - Belmont, CA
I think the race last year was in May due to a scheduling issue, but they start the races early enough that the heat isn't a factor.

This will be my 2nd marathon and I've done several halfs.

Advice?  Just like with weight loss, there will be up and downs, just keep your eye on the overall goal and don't get too wrapped up in day to day training.  You won't feel your best every day, just keep on moving!

Brian
~350
DANCBJAMMIN
on 1/6/10 3:06 pm - Fort Worth, TX

I am running an Ultra 100 Mile Trail run next month on the 6th, and the 27th of next month I am running a 50K Ultra Marathon here in Fort Worth...

Advice: HAVE FUN!!! Train hard, train smart, enjoy every minute of the new lease on life you have been given and use this as a milestone in your life where you saw your goal through to completion!

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Duane1064
on 1/6/10 7:25 pm - Bloomington, IN

My wife and I are running in the Indy 500 Mini Marathon in early May.  It will be our second half marathon.  Follow your training plan and have fun.  When you complete the half you will feel incredible.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Cassie W.
on 1/6/10 7:40 pm
Lauren, your training group will provide you with the road map to get you across the finish line, just don't compare yourself to anyone else in the group.  Run your own pace and enjoy every new milestone.

When I joined a training group for a 15k in 2007, I was always the last one in.  Last year, I completed 3 marathons and was the trainer for the 15K class.

Congratulations on setting your goal!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 1/6/10 9:25 pm - DE
Congratulations.  Signing up is the first step.  Training for the event is the second step.   Have fun and stay committed and don't worry about anything but starting the race and finishing it and you'll do fine. Is it still cold in May in Fargo?
Rob
Lisey
on 1/6/10 10:41 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
The most I ever did was an 8k . . . you go girl!  Just wanted to add that up till a few months ago, I lived in Grand Forks, ND for 5 years .. . I'm enjoying avoiding the regular sub-zero temps this season!!!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Judi J.
on 1/7/10 12:27 am - MN

hey Lauren, I wussed out of my first half in December cause I wasn't ready and have been debating possibly doing Fargo. I'm in Detroit Lakes so will be training over here. If I pull the trigger, I'll have to look you up! good luck!!

judi

Most Active