Obesity: Why do we let it happen?

runningagain
on 1/5/10 10:15 am - NY

There was no way I could have lost the weight I have without this life-saving surgery.  I did all the typical diets and nothing worked.  I had the most success with WW.  I'd lose a lil' over 30 pounds and then gain it all back.  I exercised too, but not at the intensity that I do now and not with the same mind set I now have.

Prior to having this surgery, I didn't want too many people to know because I didn't want to hear negativity.  I proceeded to have the surgery and then slowly started to tell more people.  I am now so thankful and so proud that I was able to go from a size 24 to a size 12 (currently).  Never in a million years could I have done this without this tool.

With that being said, having this surgery has changed my mind set.  I now workout to keep in shape and to obtain a healthy weight.  I sweat everytime I work out.  Before surgery, I'd be lucky to just get through a workout, much less worry about the intensity of it.  Weighing 305, I just felt hopeless, no matter what I did.  With the weight coming off as quickly as it has, it has motivated me to keep moving.  I feel like there is hope and I enjoy working out now.  It's a great stress reliever. 

Whether it's running, doing zumba, swimming, kickboxing, etc., I honestly look forward to working out (most of the time...there are those days every once in a while where I drag myself to the gym, but always feel good afterwards). 

I love my RNY and am so glad I changed my life for the better.  Turn that guilt into gratefulness!!!!  You have done a great thing for yourself and should not feel one bit guilty about it. 

Take Care,

Tammy :-)

Livewell
on 1/5/10 11:46 pm - Chatham, NJ
Hi Tammy,

Congrats on your success!  I guess it would not surprise you to hear that I have told only very close friends and family about my surgery.  I am totally in the closet!!  I just could not deal with people's lack of understanding about WLS (especially the band) and how hard we would all still have to work afterwards, so I just avoided telling anyone and really concentrated on nutrition and exercise for the most part.  That's why I love coming to this site, and especially this forum, where there are tons of people who have all gone through similar issues and are making changes everyday.

runningagain
on 1/6/10 8:00 pm - NY

Thank you.  Around the holidays I saw people I haven't seen in about a year.  There was one person in particular who had no clue I had become "skinny."  Sounds funny someone calling me that cuz I really wouldn't describe myself that way.  She asked how I did it.  I am now at the point where I am proud to tell people how and am not ashamed of my RNY.  It has taken time to get to this point, but as I have seen how much my health and quality of life have improved, I don't feel ashamed anymore.  I feel very thankful. 

I don't blame you for now tell many people....I totally understand.  Once I started telling people, I still got some flack about it.  As a matter of fact, when I told my niece (who I'm close to), she had negative things to say.  Then I said, "Well, that's why I didn't tell many people because I didn't want to hear the negative."  I explained to her I had researched this and knew the risks and the benefits.  I haven't encountered any negativity in a long time. 

Glad you are on this board.  It is filled with some very nice people who are here to help, support and give advice.  I love this board. 

Have a great day.

Tammy :-)

Lisey
on 1/5/10 2:03 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
No, I couldn't have done it without my WLS, I am one of those that tried & was successful - for several years even.  In the end, I gained it all back . . . & I had never lost it all to start with, no matter how much I exercised.

At my previous high weight (prior to losing via diet & exercise only), I was 282.  I'm about 5'4".  I started out with walking & going to Curves in Feb 2005.  By mid-late summer 2005, I then progressed to doing free weights - hired a trainer & had a damn good alternating upper/ lower body program - & taekwondo.  In spring 2006, I started jogging.  My routine - I did weights every other day with jogging on the off day from weights.  In addition to also doing either weights or jogging on any given day, I did taekwondo 3/ week, 45-60 minute classes.  I typically jogged 45-60 minutes & typically did weights for 75 minutes/ session.  That means that 3 days out of the week, I averaged a 2 hour workout.  I gave myself off one day out of every 2 weeks.  I maintained this routine for the next 2 years.  So, basically I totally exercised my butt off for about 3 yrs & the lowest I ever got was 207, but I typically ran around 215 for a BMI around 35-36.  Although I never was thin & never got below a size 20, I had great endurance, flexibility, & strength.  I still felt WAY BITTER that I worked MUCH harder than the extreme majority of thin people & never came within calling distance of that goal.

Most likely due to the combination of jogging & taekwondo - which was done on a thin berber carpet laid over concrete - & my weight, I developed plantar fasciitis, which is basically where the entire tendon that covers the bottom of your feet becomes inflamed.  The swelling from the inflammation creates tiny tears = A LOT of pain.  Every time I sat for more than 15 minutes & that tendon would get "cold" & I would stand up, more little tears would occur = more pain.  I totally felt like my body had betrayed my best efforts towards health & man was I bitter & upset.  Walking slowly over a padded carpet wearing my $160 running shoes (for good support) & having spent $400 on custom made inserts (helped, but didn't make it better) . . . was a painful event.  Sometimes, in the morning when the tendon was really immobile/ cold from not being used for several hours & I would have to get up, & I would put weight on my feet as I stood, the pain was so intense that I would then literally crawl to the bathroom.  Did I mention I felt bitter & betrayed by my body after all my valiant efforts . . . that never got me below a size 20 to begin with???

Walking slowly was very painful, exercise was totally out of the question.  Walking on the gym floors to do weights SUCKED - those floors are HARD.  One of the reasons I stuck with exercising so intensely & to a lesser degree, but fairly regularly, since adolescence despite always being obese, was the endorphins rush, sleeping better, feeling more mobile & energized.  I may never have gotten thin, but there were lots of benefits.  Continuing exercising was like being subjected to punishment because it was so painful.  I knew from my doctor & my own web research that the best thing to do to get rid of it is to stop exercising &/ or lose weight.  As soon as I stopped exercising, I gained weight (go figure).  Despite the trade off, it did improve somewhat.  To the point that walking was painful, yet not so bad that I crawled instead & not so bad that I tried hanging onto furniture & the walls as I walked to take some of the pressure off.  Every time I tried to do A LITTLE BIT of exercise with the thought that I need to do something to lose weight & I need to lose weight to get rid of the plantar fasciitis, I would get a painful flareup.

Certainly during the time that I was exercising my butt off, I struggled with overeating.  Not as much as one might think given all that I exercised yet never getting below a BMI of 35.  But, there were & are emotional uses for food for me.  The entire segment I just wrote was SOOOO frustrating & disheartening, it became progressively more difficult to not turn to food as a comfort as I became more despondent that the pain would go away, that I would be able to be strong & healthy, much less for the hope that was still there to actually be thin.  It was a total downward spiral & the fact remained that I could *NOT* get rid of my plantar fasciitis - it was a cache 22 with what needed to be done to get rid of it & the very condition preventing me from doing the things to be able to get rid of it.

WLS for me became a non-option if I wanted to live a pain-free life again, if I wanted to be healthy, if I wanted to be thin.  I can say with complete confidence that I could not have worked harder to then be successful.  I think it's totally awesome that many others have, but I was not one of them & it wasn't through a lack of discipline on my part - at least for the exercise component.  Food-wise is unarguable, if I had simply stuck to say a 1600 calorie diet, in the long run, I would have lost the weight.  Problem being, the more I exercised, the hungrier I was . . . & using food to soothe myself.  Exercise certainly helped with that, but obviously not enough.

Wow, I think that's a long enough post!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Livewell
on 1/5/10 11:53 pm - Chatham, NJ
Thanks, Lisey.  Before surgery, I had a tough time sticking to anything.  I don't know exactly why it took WLS for the lightbulb to go off for me, but it did.  It's all good now, though, and I am very grateful for where I am today.

MacMadame
on 1/8/10 2:59 pm - Northern, CA
I am reading a lot about people who have lost a lot of weigh too. But you always ready about them when they are less than a year out from losing. You rarely hear about people who lost 100 lb or more and KEPT IT OFF.

Before I had surgery, I had been dieting for 37 years. I always gained the weight back. Was it because I was undisciplined? No, I'm very focused and goal oriented. Did I lack willpower? No way. I once dieted through the holidays and didn't cheat *one time*.

I gained the weight back because I was always hungry and I could live like that for a year or even two but not much longer than that. I'd always give in to the hunger and gradually the weight would come back on.

With my VSG, I no longer make the amount of ghrelin that I used to and now I am not hungry 1/2 hour after eating. I can eat something and actually be satisfied. That never happened pre-op. I'd just stop eating because intellectually I knew I'd eaten a portion size. But I still felt unsatisfied and then soon again I'd be hungry.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active